30-06 Blank as a Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

I was at a craft fair the first Saturday of December and this fellow walks up to me and asks "can you make a pen out this". He was holding a 30-06 blank spent cartridge. It was a deshavu moment for me. Back in may at another craft show a lady walked up to me and asked the same question about the same size cartridge. Anyway, the fella said it was a round that had been fired in a military funeral for his brother and he wanted it made into a pen as a memorial of his brother. He wanted it made out of Deer antler.

Here is the result.

Material = deer antler (found locally as a shed antler)
Hardware = Kit-less (Used components purchased from Wood-N-Whimsies - Cigar type transmission, Parker style refill)
Cartridge = 30-06 Blank. (It is a little short because the crimp causes cracks in the neck and I trim it back to get rid of them)
Bullet = 155.5 grain match grade FMJ.
Finish (Antler) = 6 coats of CA polished with Triple E
Finish (Case) = Polished with Triple E

Note the antler on the lathe. The top of the bottom curve is the void area on the pen under the clip. I prefer to show a little of the natural surface of the antler, otherwise it looks like a piece of Corian or some other similar material.

I need to take a look at the color balance of my camera. For some reason the antler has a pink cast in the photos but not in real life.​

Attachments

• IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

good job.

Who makes the 155.5 fmj though? Is it the Sierra 155.5 Palma bullet?

Not sure, I bought a box of them at "Sportsman's Warehouse" because they looked like they would make a nice nib. I may still have the original box in my shop. I will check tomorrow and see what they were.

Top Bottom