3 zebras and 1 BOW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

I made these this evening. The top zebrawood is cross cut, the next one is cut on a 45 degree cross cut and the third one is straight grain. They are from the same board. The three zebras are for an article showing how changing the cutting angle of a blank effects the look of the final pen. The BOW is from a purchased blank. My wife and I are going to Israel in March and the BOW is going to our tour leader who is also one of the pastors at our church. Enjoy and thanks for looking.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• ZEBRA AND bow SLIMS 020.CRW.jpg
    ZEBRA AND bow SLIMS 020.CRW.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 414
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Top notch work, of course, Don.

That is a great illustration of how the angle of cut changes the wood.

It sound like a great trip; I hope you and Mrs. Don enjoy it to the fullest.

Bree

Very nice Don! Ya know I have a lot of zebrawood and I have never made a pen out of it. Yours look so nice that I think I need to draw some inspiration and mill up some of that zeeb and make a pen this weekend!
:wink::wink::wink:

its_virgil

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. As soon as the article is published I will send a copy to our librarian so it can be added to our "stacks" here on IAP.

Cav: We are really looking forward to this trip. Our adult daughter is going with us. I hope to get to spend some time with Eli Avisera if our schedules work out.

Lupe: This is probably my favorite way to make a slimline. The lower barrel is longer than normal. I use tubes the same lengths as in the euro.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Bree: After I made these I found a piece of zebra wood with tighter grain...dark streaks closer together...I may have to make these over again and see how they look. Give them a try...be careful on the cross cut with the end grain.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Every once in a while we are reminded how some simple kits and a few blocks of wood can be turned into keepsakes in the hands of a master.

Mickey

Pens look great. I know your pastor will appreciate it. Can't do too much good for those folks.

JimB

All my zebra is straight pre-cut blanks. Now I wish I had come cross or 45 cut. Thanks for posting this great example of how the cut can make a big difference in the outcome. Beautiful work.

Bree

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. As soon as the article is published I will send a copy to our librarian so it can be added to our "stacks" here on IAP.

Bree: After I made these I found a piece of zebra wood with tighter grain...dark streaks closer together...I may have to make these over again and see how they look. Give them a try...be careful on the cross cut with the end grain.

I cut a half dozen blanks this evening. Cut on the slight bias to give a little more action. I will turn one tomorrow.
:cool::cool::cool:

Lenny

Lupe: This is probably my favorite way to make a slimline. The lower barrel is longer than normal. I use tubes the same lengths as in the euro.

quote]

I have just started playing around this way with the slimline kits. They really are quite versatile if you just throw out the center band and either make your own or do away with it entirely. :)
Thanks for the perfect example of why you sometimes want to cross cut your blanks ! Makes that Zebrawood look fantastic!

its_virgil

Thanks for all of the comments. I don't remember the last slimline I made that wasn't modified in some way. They are fun to experiment with and some really nice pens can be made using them. We should start a thread showing only modified slimlines and see what all is being done with them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom