3-tone sunburst fretted/fretless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from neurotictim

neurotictim

So I had a bunch of guys suggest making pens that resembled instruments... These two are my first go at it, and at a few different things.

First go at multi-color staining (need to work on that)
First go at this many segments (fine detail needs attention)
First (successful) go at CA finishing (getting better, accelerant is a wonderful thing)

They're supposed to resemble classic Fender basses - 3 tone sunburst, maple "neck" with rosewood "fretboard" and chrome hardware.

If and when I get good enough at these to want to sell them, though, it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

The "fretless" model:
SDC10981-1.jpg

The "fretted" model:
SDC10982-1.jpg

SDC10984-1.jpg

Comments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
looks good. I see you do need a little work on the segmenting. I wonder if aluminum or brass rods would look good for the dots. don't know the proper name.

hewunch

Good first tries. PM me if you want to see some that I have done. No bodies, just necks. Or you could just go to my website and check out the guitar neck pens.

neurotictim

Good first tries. PM me if you want to see some that I have done. No bodies, just necks. Or you could just go to my website and check out the guitar neck pens.

Those guitar neck pens are sweet! I think I'm going to stick with doing "whole" guitars, but if I were going to do neck pens, I'd be copying you. :cool: How do you get the metal frets? Is that something you glue in, then turn, or is an after-the-fact type thing?

I really appreciate the comments, everyone, it helps keep me motivated when I've got CA everywhere.

hewunch

Those guitar neck pens are sweet! I think I'm going to stick with doing "whole" guitars, but if I were going to do neck pens, I'd be copying you. :cool: How do you get the metal frets? Is that something you glue in, then turn, or is an after-the-fact type thing?

I really appreciate the comments, everyone, it helps keep me motivated when I've got CA everywhere.

My first frets were doubled soda can. My current ones are doubled aluminum flashing. So yes, glue them in before you turn.

neurotictim

What are you using to dye the sunburst?

I've tried a variety of different stuff - I really like the depth of color with the water-based dyes by Transtint, and the powdered version (forgot the name off-hand).

For this pen I actually used water-based Polyshades stain from Home Depot, I got the "mustard yellow" color and a tin of white, and used the powdered dyes in it - I figured that being water-based they should jive all right.

I applied them using q-tips, and I think I'll pursue that method, because it really seems like an easy application... As long as the cotton doesn't get caught up in the lathe.

:cool:

Top Bottom