3 for the road

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fitty

fitty

I wanted to share a few pens I've recently made using different materials.

The first an Art Deco FP with Buffalo Horn and Mammoth Ivory. I decided on Buffalo horn over Ebony as I thought the white of the horn will be pulled out by the ivory.

The second is an Art Deco BP with Mammoth Ivory. I had a 8" piece of tusk with two grow rings, sanded flat, cut at about 2 1/2", repeated and glued two pieces to give me enough width.

The third is an Art Deco BP with Leather. The CA really darken the leather, but left some contrast.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1127 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1127 (800x600).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_1128 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1128 (800x600).jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1136 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1136 (800x600).jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_1183 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1183 (800x600).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

My favorite is the second one,that looks extra cool! Great job on them all.Could use share what those materials are like to work with?

Steve

KDM

Ewwwww burnt dead animal smell. Not nice. Fantastic result, though.

I love the leather one. Was that some thong wrapped around the pen tube?

fitty

ossaguy said:
My favorite is the second one,that looks extra cool! Great job on them all.Could use share what those materials are like to work with?

Steve

The ivory was rather brittle so I kept the CA close. I tired to sand down the material so there wasn't much to turn. Had a few pieces chip off at the growth rings, but easy to repair without showing cracks in the ivory.

The leather was easy to turn once hardened with CA, otherwise it's to soft to drill and turn.

Both where neat to work with and created beautiful pieces.

As for the smell, as long as I had the shop vac running, it wasn't to bad.

fitty

KDM said:
Ewwwww burnt dead animal smell. Not nice. Fantastic result, though.

I love the leather one. Was that some thong wrapped around the pen tube?

Interesting, sure someone could cast a thong in resin :)

I cut strips of leather 3/4" square and glue them together. From there it was just stack and glue until it was long enough. I counted 18 pieces in the picture, may have be 20 before I squared it.

Guess my next challenge pen is a buffalo horn, mammoth ivory and leather pen.

tkbarron

Nice job. I love the 1st one! What kits are you using there?

I'd be willing to cast a thong, just not a brown one. There's something about that color combination that doesn't work for me...

Tom

fitty

tkbarron said:
Nice job. I love the 1st one! What kits are you using there?

I'd be willing to cast a thong, just not a brown one. There's something about that color combination that doesn't work for me...

Tom

It's the Broadwell Art Deco from PSI.

Jim Burr

Banned
Those are great Mark! The horn really stands out. Question time...would there be an advantage to vaccum stabilizing the leather as opposed to CA soaking?...just a thought.

fitty

Jim Burr said:
Those are great Mark! The horn really stands out. Question time...would there be an advantage to vaccum stabilizing the leather as opposed to CA soaking?...just a thought.

I would think vacuum stabilizing would give constant penetration and color through the leather. You can tell by the color differences that it wasn't completely saturated with CA, but I left it that way for contrast. Also, I don't have a vacuum sealer so CA was my only option at the time.

Top Bottom