3 - Patriots tonight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gad5264

gad5264

I got home from work and had a package in the mailbox with Amboyna Burl blanks in that I bought from "fernhills" or Carl from Hallertown, Pa. As I stated to him in the classified section, I could not open them fast enough to satisfy my girlfriend when she saw them. Immediately she said I want that one, so I changed clothes and headed for the shop. I turned the first barrel down and finished it then started the assembly. Right during the assembly process she said that dinner was ready so I stopped what I was doing and went to eat dinner. After dinner I went back to working on the pens and wouldn't you know it I got my pieces out of sync and forgot to put the pocket clip on the first assembly. OH well, I kept going and finished two others also with the pocket clips this time.

Amboyna Burl #1
200852312457_DSCF0004A.jpg

Amboyna Burl #2
200852312548_DSCF0008A.jpg

Oak
200852312642_DSCF0005A.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice pens Grant ! I try to avoid stopping in between start and finish , 'cause I know that will happen to me !! [8D]

fernhills

They look great,i was worried that you may find them to hard to to turn but you did it. Getting things messed up happens. You might want to invest in a Harbor Freight punch set ($9.99) With that inexpensive set of tools you can dismantle,without damage,almost any pen. Good Luck, Carl

CaptG

Very nice looking pens. That pocket clip would only get in the way of that great wood. That pen will be a great desk pen by the phone.:D

BigRob777

Leave it to Cav....

Very nice pens. How long is the barrel? I never have turned one of them. I've never even turned amboyna burl, though I have two blanks just waiting for me.
Rob

gad5264

The finished length of the barrel is 3-13/16 long. The Amboyna is kind of tough to turn. It seems to want to explode when turning, I guess that is from all of the swirling. However when it is finished it is awesome looking.

gad5264

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Nice work, but I was a little embarrassed to read the part about not satisfying your girlfriend. [:0][:0];)

Cav,
I guess I didn't read it after I wrote it.....just for the record, one has nothing to do with the other....HA

I see you are from the Susquehanna Valley. Are you close to the power plant on the river? I used to work there back in the mid 80's.

BigRob777

Thanks Grant. So I would have to be creative when drilling, as my cap is a 3" stroke on my drill press. Not too difficult to do though, I would guess. I'll just have to watch the temp of the bit.
Rob

gad5264

Originally posted by BigRob777

Thanks Grant. So I would have to be creative when drilling, as my cap is a 3" stroke on my drill press. Not too difficult to do though, I would guess. I'll just have to watch the temp of the bit.
Rob

BigRob, I have the same problem. My solution was to drill as deep as I could and then rechuck the bit and extend it just a bit. I always cut my blanks about .25" longer than need to so it worked out just fine.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Grant,

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

If you are talking about the Montour Power Plant, I am about 20 or so minutes away from it.

Originally posted by gad5264

Nice work, but I was a little embarrassed to read the part about not satisfying your girlfriend. [:0][:0];)

Cav,
I guess I didn't read it after I wrote it.....just for the record, one has nothing to do with the other....HA

I see you are from the Susquehanna Valley. Are you close to the power plant on the river? I used to work there back in the mid 80's.

gad5264

Grant,

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

If you are talking about the Montour Power Plant, I am about 20 or so minutes away from it.

Originally posted by gad5264

Cav,

That would be it, I used to be a commercial diver and we worked on resurfacing the face of that dam for one summer. All of our work was done on third shift and we lived in the campground right there close.

Top Bottom