3 For Our Soldiers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TXPhi67

TXPhi67

Here are three pens that my son, his best friend, and I made for some deployed soldiers.

These pens have some stories behind them, so bare with me. :)

DSC_0799.JPG

Starting from the left, this is a satin finished Elegant Sierra w/ 2-Tone Ironwood that my son received as a gift based on a post a while back to help a budding pen turner (this is his 4th pen). The deal was that I post a pic of the pen and that he had to donate the pen to a deployed soldier. This is going to a Master Sargeant currently deployed in Iraq who rarely receives mail or care packages. The engraving on the box is from a Kipling poem and reads "But the backbone of the Army is the non-commissioned man."

The next sierra is one I made and is a special blank that I received in a trade with the condition that I never sell it. A yellow ribbon replacing the star in a Texas flag is going to an enlisted infantryman with the Texas National Guard currently deployed in Iraq. The engraving on this pen reads "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

The last one is a group effort between my son, his best friend (who has never turned a pen), and I. The pen is going to his father who is a Major with the Texas National Guard and is currently deployed in Iraq. It is one of AZ's Ultra Cigars with Texas Mesquite harvested off of my father's ranch and capped with Axis antler my son collected from my father's Axis herd.

The two pens for the enlisted will be handed out by Maj Redhair when he returns to Iraq at the end of his leave in one week. All three pens are being sent out to fellow Texans with the prayer for their safe return home.

This has been a fun project for my son, his friend, and myself. The pens will be presented to Maj Redhair this Thu and I'm not sure who is more excited - my son, his friend, or myself. :biggrin:

Take care all and thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I really like the story and the thoughts that went into each pen. I'm sure the receiving parties will be ecstatic and greatly appreciate that the three of you went out of your way to make each pen sentimental. Great Work! We can never say enough to our soldiers how much we appreciate what they do for us, so that we can play in our shops and enjoy our freedoms.

Top Bottom