3 Maple Atrax Ballpoints

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lyonsacc

lyonsacc

My sister-in-law asked me to make these for her boss and his brothers. The wood came from a maple tree that was special to the family. I know it is not much, but this is the largest custom order I have had.

Dave

Attachments

• 11-11-13 007.jpg
    11-11-13 007.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 11-11-13 008.jpg
    11-11-13 008.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 11-11-13 009.jpg
    11-11-13 009.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

CA finish. I sand the wood all the way through 12000 MM. Clean the blanks with DNA (denatured alcohol). One application of BLO (boiled linseed oil). 24 or so coats of thin CA. 24 because I have lost my medium CA and I have been known to sand through quite a few layers. I use a light spritz of accelerator every 4th coat of CA. Then let dry overnight. Sand with 600 grit quite a bit to get rid of those little tiny shiny spots, then go through all of the MM levels. Then a quick application of Hut plastic polish (I think it is HUT) followed with Renaissance Wax.

Probably overkill with a few parts of it, but at least the results have become somewhat reliable for me.

All custom orders are very special and you should be very proud that you got one. Those pens look great. The chatoyance of that maple is very nice. You can clearly see it in all three of your images. Nice job catching that on the camera. Great job on these pens.

Pitoon

is it me or does the top pen have a slight bow on the cap? good job on pulling the custom order! what did you charge?

Pitoon

lyonsacc

is it me or does the top pen have a slight bow on the cap? good job on pulling the custom order! what did you charge?

Pitoon

The top cap does not have a bow, but it does look like it in the pics.

As far as what we charged - my brother is a jam maker (www.lyonsmarket.com) and he makes some of the best maple syrup around. So we will probably swap these for 1 1/2 gallons of syrup - which in my household is just as good as cash :biggrin:

Dave

Top Bottom