3 latest pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodenRanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodenRanger

Here are a few of the latest pens I have been working on. Still working on trying to improve my photo skills. Thanks for looking.

Redheart, Ebony, Holly
Deer Antler
Osage Orange, Bloodwood, Holly
2007112635245_Red%20Gent.%20Web%20Shot.jpg

2007112633338_Cropped%20Black%20Backgrd..jpg

200711263584_OS%20Gent%20Open%20Web.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cutterwoodjoe

Nice job Woody,
I love the look of the cross pens,they are very attractive, and after searching all I can find is pictures with no real tips on how to do them. I have tried to "inlay" the ovals in and am not really getting good results. Do you have any good tips for more consistant results? I hope this isn't out of line, I would have e-mailed you but couldn't find the info. Thanx

WoodenRanger

I finished the pens in CA, but I am still working on my photo tecnique to show the shine without taking away from the wood colors. Thanks for the nice comments!

Joe, as far as consistant results there were many steps I took to finally figure out how to make the cross pens posted above. Two of the things that help me are
1. I built a jig which I clamp the pen blank to and use a router table to hollow out the hole for the inlay. The toughtest part of that was getting the hole lined up on the pen. I probably made more than a dozen jigs until I finally got one which looked good to me and the size looked how I wanted it.
2. On the computer I made a oval pattern which is the same size as the oval that I hollowed out which I glue on the wood oval with the cross in it and then sand the oval until it matches the hole for the inlay.
Hope this helps.

cutterwoodjoe

Woody,
Thanx for the tips The problem was in the making of the hollowed out (mortise?) part, and it wasn't only one try either [:)] hopefully I will get it soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom