3 Designer, 2 Stratus, and an ugly Guardian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brian G

Brian G

I think I fixed my 15 year-old camera. Even with a new battery, it was showing low power and kept shutting down. So I did what any good fixer-guy would do; I took out the battery, blew in it, and put the battery back in. It worked. Still thinking of getting a new camera.

Anyway, first up is a trio of Designers. Left to right is padauk, cocobolo, and cherry with my first attempt at a Celtic knot. The padauk and cocobolo pens were finished with CA. The cherry with the Celtic knot was finished with Hut Crystal Coat

Designer Trio.jpg PadaukDesigner.jpg Cocobolo Designer.jpg Celtic Designer.jpg

Here's a closeup of the knot.

Celtic Knot1.jpg

The two Stratus pens are in olivewood and bubinga, both finished with Hut Crystal Coat. I like the satin look and silky feel of this finish. Of the less than two dozen pens I've made so far, the bubinga and gun metal is my favorite.
2 Stratus.jpg OliveAuStratus.jpg BubGMStratus.jpg

Last, is a Guardian in cross cut teak.
Guardian.jpg TeakCrGuardian.jpg

Wife and I have dubbed it the Turd Pen. We think it's what a turd would look like if it was cast and turned. Cross cut teak is a bad idea. Well, it wasn't really an idea. Several years ago I purchased some lumber at auction from a cabinet maker that was going out of business. There was one ugly board that I couldn't identify, so I cut a 1" chunk off of the end. Right away I knew it was teak, so I kept it until I had a use for it. Enter the pen.

If it wasn't so ugly, I'd bury it, but there's a little bit of charm in the ugliness. :redface:

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Thanks, Mike. The teak Guardian sure smelled better while I was turning it, than how it looked when I completed it. :biggrin: I'd like it better if the nib was a better match to the diameter of the barrel. For a fat pen, I like how it feels in my big hands.

Dale Allen

Nice pens. That knot look great.
As for the guardian....I made one once....decide one was enough.
I have big hands and I don't even like writing with it.

Brian G

Thanks for the additional comments. I sure thought about percussive maintenance, but the mallet was on the other side of the shop.

I wouldn't know where to begin with making a realistic cigar, but if anyone is interested in a blank or two from that board, send me a PM and we can work a trade for something cool you have.

Top Bottom