3 Color CCC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ed McDonnell

Ed McDonnell

Experimented with adding a third color to a cast carved core pen. I had intended to experiment with using masking for adding the colors, but I got so involved with carving and turning that I completely forgot about the masking. Next time.

It's a purpleheart core, carved with a quilt pattern., painted with two colors (white/pink), cast in clear PR and turned to shape.

All comments and critiques welcome.

Ed

Attachments

• Quilt_120318_1480 Web.jpg
    Quilt_120318_1480 Web.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 417
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Cool pen! I'm just way too lazy for that stuff. I'll just let you do it, 'cause it looks like you're good at it.:biggrin:

Ed McDonnell

Very nice pen. How do you make the designs on the masking?

Hi glen r - Although I planned to use masking to try and make painting multiple colors a little easier, I forgot to use it. The design is carved using my DOL (digital ornamental lathe). After carving, I paint the teeny tiny carved areas. Then I repaint the areas where the wrong color ended up. Then I repaint the areas that were fine but that I managed to mess up when I was fixing the areas that were originally messed up. The little white triangles are less than 1/16". Even with the smallest brush I was able to sneak out of my wife's studio and using a magnifier, it's tedious.

I'm hoping that masking will allow me to go back to slathering on the paint. Slathering is a better fit with my painting skills.

See my replies to this discussion. It provides more detail on how I do the carving.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/stencil-carved-core-95203/

Ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom