3 Clickers - finished with Fast Stick CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jdmyers4

jdmyers4

I originally finished these pens with Enduro, but was not satisfied with the result. I then refinished them using the new Stick Fast CA finishing kit. The results were much improved. I'm sold.

Left - Spalted Maple
Middle - Rosewood Burl
Right - burl (I've forgotten which one - any guesses?)

Attachments

• Spalted Maple Clicker - 1.jpg
    Spalted Maple Clicker - 1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Rosewood Burl Clicker - 1.jpg
    Rosewood Burl Clicker - 1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Unknown Burl Clicker - 1.jpg
    Unknown Burl Clicker - 1.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerH

John:

Nice job on all three. The rosewood burl really speaks to me.

I use a CA finish on virtually all of my pens. Could you explain to me what is different about Fast Stick CA finishing kit?

Thx

Roger

dmott

Very nice, I want to try some click pens or one piece slimlines, but need longer bits I believe.

I guess I use the Stick Fast finishing system (kind of). I buy CA glue from Rockler, happens to be StickFast. I put on a few coats of thin, a few coats of medium, then back to the thin to get it real smooth. I think enough thin on the end and you can skip the 400 grit sandpaper.

Instead of these StickFast polishing compunds, I use 1) Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound (= StickFast satin?), 2) Meguiars Ultimate Compound (=StickFast gloss?), then 3) Plastx (= Novus#2[not in stickfast system]).

jdmyers4

I'm not sure if the 'Stick Fast' CA is any different from regular CA. Anyone know?

I applied one cost of thin Stick Fast CA, followed by 4-5 coats of the medium SF CA. I then sanded with 400 grit, followed by 600, then thru 12000 micro mesh. I applied the satin and gloss polish to finish it off.

I'm not entirely sure if the polish really does anything more beyond what the Micro Mesh does.

I'm going to try my next pen using regular CA that I have using the above sequence and see if there is any difference.

Nope - that 3rd pen isn't brown Malee.

dmott

I'm not sure if the 'Stick Fast' CA is any different from regular CA. Anyone know?

I applied one cost of thin Stick Fast CA, followed by 4-5 coats of the medium SF CA. I then sanded with 400 grit, followed by 600, then thru 12000 micro mesh. I applied the satin and gloss polish to finish it off.

I'm not entirely sure if the polish really does anything more beyond what the Micro Mesh does.

I'm going to try my next pen using regular CA that I have using the above sequence and see if there is any difference.

Nope - that 3rd pen isn't brown Malee.

I think if you are going from 12,000MM to the "StickFast satin" you are probably going backwards in "harshness/roughness."

I think the point of the compunds is to take the place of the micromesh. I watched a youtube Stickfast finishing system and didn't see any micromesh (I think).

The Stick Fast is supposed to be formulated to give a bit more open time (esp the thin). Supposed to help evening out the surface prior to using the accelerator. Just got some but haven't tried it out to see if there's much dif between that and their regular CA (which I've been using and really like).

Wondering - could the 3rd pen be afzelia burl?

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

All three look first class, as to the difference in the CA wood finishing vs the regular CA.

Direct from the company:
New CA Wood Finish Formulation
CA Wood Finish

Key Features:
  • Extended application time of up to 60 seconds
  • Slightly flexible for an extremely tough and durable finish that polishes to a glass like surface.
  • Ideal for pen finishing and can be used for larger projects
  • Two viscosities:
    • Thin 20 cps for first coat application allowing CA to absorb into the wood to help stabilize and keep from future cracking.
    • Medium: 100 cps for multiple coats with quick build up yet thin enough to be leveling, reducing the ridges during application.
  • Aerosol CA Activator for quick cure between coats
  • Little or no sanding between coats
  • 1oz, 2.5oz,
CA Polish:
  • Quick cutting polish
  • Non-wax, non-silicone, no crystalline silica
  • Water based for easy clean up with soap and water
  • Easy application
  • Two polishing products:
    • CA Polish Satin: polishes to approximately 1500g
    • CA Polish Gloss: polishes to a 2,500+g glass like surface; for optimum results to be used after Satin polish application
  • Polish Acrylics instead of Wood with CA Wood Finish? Yes! CA Polish also works well on acrylics!
  • 1oz,
CA Aerosol Activator: New formula
  • Reduced foaming and discoloration: Formulated for direct application on CA as well as all CA Activating applications requiring immediate instant cure.
  • 3oz
Abranet Abrasive by Mirka
  • The ideal abrasive for leveling CA Wood Finish coats ready for the final CA Polish .
  • 3"x3-2/3" squares

Last edited:

Russell Eaton

If you are looking for a satin finish skip all the micro mesh and sand with the abranet then the satin polish. I think you will like the results just as well. Russell

RichB

John, I really like the look of your pens and the finish. Ourstanding pens. I notice it is water based. Will a little moisture on the blank cause a problem with the finish like regular CA? I have had some problems with this due to a basement shop. It doesn't look like a lot of us have used it but maybe someone has an answer. I watched the video and it looked like a good easy finish. Thanks for showing John.

Last edited:
Top Bottom