2nd try: padauk mini-pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fumanchu314159265

View in Gallery

After a reasonably successful first pen (beginner's luck??), my whole family placed orders, each choosing a blank, components, and shape. Ellie, my 11-year old daughter, asked for padauk in a mini-pen form, satin chrome, with a simple, straight design.

It turned out reasonably well. It took some work to fill in the pores and get a smooth finish. I did a first few coats of medium CA and then sanded it down to see where I stood. Some of the deepest pores were still unfilled and ended up with some white specks of CA lodged in them. I did a few more coats and polished it to a nice finish, but the specks are unfortunately still visible.

The finish also ended up being thicker than I expected, so there is a sharp edge that stands proud of the nib. I'd like to round that over a little bit without visibly roughing up the finish. I'm guessing I'll need to remove the nib in order to do that. Or maybe it's good enough as-is...I'm glad she thinks so! (Perhaps I shouldn't focus on the defects so much in front of the recipient, but I do want to keep improving).

I think I didn't let the thick CA finish cure enough before I started handling it, plus some pretty thick bridges built up between the wood and the bushings, so I did have some chipping of the finish at the ends. Fortunately I was able to hide the main one under the clip! I've gleaned some strategies from the forum for dealing with that better in the future.

I didn't know that the padauk would darken and brown over time when she chose the wood, so I hope it happens slowly enough that she stays as delighted as she is at the moment with her daddy-made treasure.

The forum has been a rich resource as I've gotten started with this. I'd certainly be asking more questions if most of them weren't already answered in one thread or another!

--Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Very nice looking pen Rob!

I see that you are well on your way. You have already addressed the issues with fit and finish that you will refine as time goes on.

Realizing that finish can increase the diameter, consider getting a caliper to measure your pen components, allowing for your finish by turning the blank to a slightly smaller diameter. Many folks will use a smaller bushing or place the blank between centers so you don't sand your bushings. Same for applying CA.

Good luck and keep the family happy!

Was the White touches in the CA the result of using CA accelerator?

I didn't use any accelerator. I think the white specks are CA grit from sanding that got caught in the only partially filled pores. On my next two attempts (pictures coming soon), I sanded with wet CA as a first step to fill the pores with CA/sawdust slurry and that seems to have done a good job (though on less porous species).

--Rob

Top Bottom