2nd try at the Jr. Gent. Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Don Farr

Don Farr

I think this one turned out better but I welcome your comments. Black Titanium Kit and Buckeye burl. Also still working on the picture quality.
BTW This was my first experience with buckeye burl. Man that stuff gave me fits. Hard spots, soft spots and wanted to crack.

Attachments

• Jr Gent buckeye burl.jpg
    Jr Gent buckeye burl.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Jr. Gent buckeye burl.jpg
    Jr. Gent buckeye burl.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Farr

Thanks Guys, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Now if I can get the picture taking thing down.:mad: I don't understand why my pictures look so grainy after reducing the size and posting.

S

spiritwoodturner

Don, it's lovely. Don't know if you've caught any of the posts on stabilizing/vacuum/Minwax, but I've been doing just that lately. I stabilized some Buckeye that was nearly unusable, that I just set aside and forgot. It turned like hardwood and finished like acrylic. No kidding, this stuff has changed what and how I turn and finish. Spalted woods, flamed box elder, redwood burl, camphor burl, I've stabilized hundreds of blanks in this stuff and it works really well for me. Clearly not as well as the pro stabilized stuff, but it wasn't 7 bucks a pop either, and the results are not that different.

PM me if you'd like to send me a blank, I'd be happy to vacuum stabilize one for you just so you can try it first.

Dale

S

spiritwoodturner

By the way, Don, you're not alone on the picture taking thing. I have a $1200.00 camera, and I guess I expected this thing to set the pens out just right, compose the shot and perfectly expose it without my help. It doesn't. My pics are a work in progress. But progress is being made, so yours will improve too. They look great!

Dale

Top Bottom