2nd shot at segmenting with copper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Jr Gent segmented with copper, african blackwood, American cherry, and ebony. The cap end isn't quite flush with the hardwear. Looking forward to an order I just placed on johnnycnc web site to start turning between centers. I think it will help. Also had trouble getting a clean separation from CA glue and bushings. Another reason TBC might help.

Attachments

• segmented-jr-gent.jpg
    segmented-jr-gent.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

I believe the thickness is .032. Got it at the local hobby lobby store.

Thanks for the positive comments

Forgot to answer the rest of the question. Copper is easy to turn. The ebony in the pen is not stabilized. Therefore it is easy to turn a dip on each side of the copper in the ebony. I used one of the carbide square tip tools to make sure I turned evenly. The American cherry is stabilized and it seemed the cooper wasn't much harder than that and easier to turn even due to the stabilization and the hard wood. Easy to sand/polish as well.

Last edited:

MikeL

Copper turns fairly easy when sandwiched by hard wood, I had to take a little more care with ebony and copper since the ebony was much softer than the copper.

Just looked at your Etsy site provided on your comment. Wow!! Nice pens. I'd say you must be an expert on this stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom