2nd Segmented

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cal91666

cal91666

Still digging in the scrap bin to learn this craft. Red Oak, Padauk, and Purpleheart separated by .019 aluminum on a gun metal component set with a CA finish. I think I might start trying some angle cuts next. Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Attachments

• image-1331339537.jpg
    image-1331339537.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 333
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

A Nice one Chris,
Great Fit and Finish.
Love Seperators in segmented pens where appropriate.
Aluminium is a great seperator, as are Guitar Picks, Formica. and I have been told, also Credit Cards.
I cannot vouch for the last one, as I haven't been able to pry any from my Wife.
Look forward to your Angled One next.
Brian.

cal91666

Brian, thanks for the idea! I hadn't heard of using guitar picks but with the colors that they come in that could be very interesting. Thanks for your comments.

OZturner

Awesome mate, I really like it. Is it hard to turn the aluminium?

Hi Sean,
It is easy to turn, with normal woodturning tools.
Actually a bit easier that a lot of Acacia's, Mulga etc. from your "Neck of the Woods"
Just treat it the same as wood.
A suggestion is to use a can containing an Adult Beverage, after you have emptied it in the traditional Kalgoolie manner, or a Soft Drink, will do as a poor substitute, inparticular with the tempretures you get out there.
Cut it carefully with a knife, or scissors (not your wifes, or Surgical Dressing ones) into strips, and glue it between your joints, and Clamp.
be cautious when drilling, take it a little easy when going through the Aluminium, it can at times tend to grab hold on the drill bit.
Trim any excess from the blank before turning so that there is no flaying metal to cause any trauma.
Have Fun.
Brian.

cal91666

Awesome mate, I really like it. Is it hard to turn the aluminium?

Yeah, what Brian said.

On this pen I used .019 thick aluminum which is considerably thicker than a adult beverage can, which are generally in the .003 - .005 thickness range. I couldn't feel a difference in the tool when turning a blank using the can but definitely could feel it with the thicker pieces. :beer:

Sawdust1825

Very nicely done! The woods really compliment each other for a very eye catching pen and the aluminum creates a clear break from wood to wood. Something to be proud of certainly.
Where did you source the thicker aluminum from? I know you can buy shim stock in a variety of thicknesses and in brass as well.

cal91666

Very nicely done! The woods really compliment each other for a very eye catching pen and the aluminum creates a clear break from wood to wood. Something to be proud of certainly.
Where did you source the thicker aluminum from? I know you can buy shim stock in a variety of thicknesses and in brass as well.

Thank you. The aluminum was purchased at Home Depot in the hardware dept. 12"x12" piece was $7.49.

Top Bottom