2nd Place Kitless Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mr. Stubbs

Mr. Stubbs

This was my entry into the Summer Extravaganza Kitless contest. Simple stainless steel with copper nib and accents with a brushed finish. I don't make a lot of pens (this is only my second try at kitless) but the creation of this one just happened to coincide with the Summer Extravaganza so I thought I might as well enter it. I was feeling pretty good about how it turned out but once I saw the competition, not so good. The competition had what I felt was a lot more wow factor. Literally shocked to get second place. Thanks to everyone that took the time to vote. Thanks to Mike for hosting the contest and Derek for promoting it.:) Thank you to all the sponsors and venders that donated prizes.

Attachments

• Stainless_Copper3.jpg
    Stainless_Copper3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Sometimes the "Wow factor" is outshined by the skill factor. You pen has smooth clean lines and anyone would be proud to own it !!! Jim S

BSea

I think yours has plenty of WOW! Was the copper hard to turn?

Bob, the copper was not difficult to turn but keep in mind it was turned on a metal lathe using carbide inserts. With light cuts and hss still doable on my wood lathe though. :)
I'm slowly doing more & more on my small metal lathe. One thing I want to do is some copper, but I've heard how difficult it can be. Not that I won't try it, but I was waiting till I get some more experience with the lathe in general. Thanks for mentioning the carbide inserts. I'll probably experiment with both anyway.

Ed McDonnell

...One thing I want to do is some copper, but I've heard how difficult it can be...

Choosing the right alloy makes all the difference in machining copper. If you get C145 (tellurium copper) it machines very easily and cleanly with HSS tooling. You could also try C147 (sulphur copper) which is supposed to be just as easy. I haven't tried c147 because it doesn't seem to be available in as many sizes (at least where I buy my metals). But it does seem to be a bit less expensive.

The amount of tellurium (or sulphur) is less than half a percent in the alloys, so it's really close to pure copper. But that little bit extra "other stuff" dramatically changes the physically properties. Trying to machine other alloys of copper is a bit like trying to machine old bubblegum.

Ed

Top Bottom