2nd Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pipemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipemaker

I completed my second pen, a cigar pen using Red Kabas.
I finished it with Hopes Tung oil varnish used like a friction polish.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

200521833538_Red%20Kabas.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

That's a great looking pen, Mike. I wish my first pens were of this quality. Are you ready to turn that Bethlehem Olivewood yet? [:)]

Gary

Very nicely done, Mike. I see nothing to improve on. I'm not familiar with Red Kabas...where is it found?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Mike, verrrrrry nice. It took me quite awhile to get up my nerve to try anything other than slimline kits. Given your user name, do you ever turn briar for pipes? I wonder how that would work for pens, and where a source might be.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Just looked up Red Kabas. Try this link for everything you ever wanted to know about Red Kabas but were afraid to ask.
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/cabtre01.html

Chuck C

Nice looking pen, Mike. I have to get some of those kits to try. LOML wants slimlines for her friends so I have to spend time on those. I hope my first cigar looks as good. Also like the looks of the wood. Where did you get it?

pipemaker

Thanks guys.

Jim L. I'm still working up the nerve to use the BOW you sent me.

Gary, I purchased some 2" square stock from CSUSA several years ago for decorative trim on my pipes. It is different than any wood I have ever used. The grain is open, with relatively hard grain lines and relatively soft wood in between. Sanding across the grain produces some unusual effects leaving a very 3 dimensional surface(if that makes any sense)

JimGo I use a pipe cleaner as a wire burner. I remove the fluff from the center, leaving an inch on each end to keep from burning my fingers. It works better than music wire.

William, I get most of my briar from Italy and Algeria. It is hard, dense and has a very fine grain which polishes easily to a high gloss. The problen is obtaining blocks long or tall enough to cut a blank over 4" long.

Thanks again,
Mike

jkirkb94

Very nice looking pen, Mike!! I have some red kabas that I need to try. I really like where you put the burn lines. It sets off the pen.[:)] Also good color combo with the brushed gold plating! Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom