2nd Kitless. Not quite so lucky this time!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

A bit of a headache this one! First problem was thread in barrel for my section was too big. The tail stock on my lathe is lousy, sloppy both on the bed and the quill. I couldn't of had it lined up properly. Re-did the thread to 10x1 and used an Olympian section and nib...not a bad save!
I haven't got the right size drill to cut the relief in the cap end for the barrel shoulder so use a chisel....not that accurate which meant when I turned the outside of the cap I over did it. I may try and save it tomorrow and take a couple of mm off the bottom, but might have to make a new finial to make up the length of the cap.
The blank was a pig to work with!!! It is water clear PR...so brittle. I was lucky to get any threads!
Thanks to all that have helped so far with comments.....please critique this one.
1-1.jpg
3-1.jpg
4-1.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
5-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert111

I like the pen, except for the square edge of the cap at the transition to the body. I realize you had no material left to work with after moving up to the 10 X 1 tap with the shoulder.

BTW, I think someone on IAP makes and sells at square nut for tailstock clamps that takes out the slop.

redwd707

I feel your pain with that chunk outta the cap. Great save with the section, and another beautiful pen. Looking forward to 3.

yort81

Regardless....it's a beautiful pen!

Robert....you wouldnt happen to know who sells that square nut to take the slop out of my tailstock, would you? I have a grizzly 5979 ... which is the epitome of tailstock slop! I could use some help :~P

Twissy

Firstly, thanks for all your kind words!

Well, I'm a lot happier with it now, modified the cap and made a new section. Initially I thought the cap maybe a bit short, but it's grown on me and looks kind of elegant (to me).
My mission on my next one is to get it better around the thread areas. However, I definitely won't be using water clear PR again!!!
Let me know what you think....cheers.
IMG_9652_4Adjust.jpg
IMG_9655_7Adjust.jpg
IMG_9643_5Adjust.jpg

watch_art

threading

The thing that has saved my butt is keeping my PR very warm when I thread.
I have a small clamp light over my work, maybe 8 inches above, with a 120 or 150W bulb in there. It keeps my hands toasty while I'm working, so the PR is nice and warm too. Keeping it warm will make threading just as easy as acrylic acetate. Don't forget your oil or lube or whatever.

:)

Top Bottom