2nd Kitless...Ehmm...Semi Kitted Custom Pen With a Store Bought Front Section

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timebandit

Timebandit

Here is my second attempt at what ever we are going to call this style of pen. This one turned out a little shorter than i wanted as i cracked the threads and had to redo it and then cracked them again so it ended up a little shorter. Still happy with it and thought i would try a little different shape.

Sorry about the pics. This pen was hard to photo because it was a lighter color so i had to use the black background to try to show it off.. I also had to use a different camera that is not as good of quality. Not happy i couldnt make my own front section because the black background kind of makes it disappear. Would have been much nicer with a custom front section. Hope you like.

All comments welcome

Thanks for looking

Justin

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0629.jpg
    DSCN0629.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCN0633.jpg
    DSCN0633.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 531
  • DSCN0634.jpg
    DSCN0634.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 514
  • DSCN0635.jpg
    DSCN0635.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 513
  • DSCN0636.jpg
    DSCN0636.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN0637.jpg
    DSCN0637.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 502
  • DSCN0638.jpg
    DSCN0638.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 517
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Very nicely done Justin. Not saying it needs it, but have you put any thought into a clip yet. Right now that is my other failing point, coming up with a decent clip and adding it so it looks like somithing and not like an after thought.

The Lucite came out real nice, did you have to reverse paint the body and cap?

Timebandit

Thanks Mike

I have though about a clip, just havent taken that step yet, and i really love a nice sleek clip free pen:biggrin:at least right now. A clip will be in my future though.

At first i painted the blank but it made the drilled section darker than the un-drilled section and it made it really stand out. So i got rid of the paint and it looks ok now. If you look at the cap you can see where i stopped drilling at the top and you can kind of see the threads for the cap.This was more pronounced with the paint. The other downside i see to painting is that you cant paint the threads, so even if you got the rest of the blank a solid color the threaded section would still be unpainted and would stick out like a sore thumb.

Very nicely done Justin. Not saying it needs it, but have you put any thought into a clip yet. Right now that is my other failing point, coming up with a decent clip and adding it so it looks like somithing and not like an after thought.

The Lucite came out real nice, did you have to reverse paint the body and cap?

IPD_Mr

I like a pen without a clip as well. The only problems I have without one is people asking where is the clip and the clips do help to keep a pen from rolling off a desk. You made a great point about painting and the threads. This makes me think that a little thicker walls would be prudent on using Lucite such as what you have used for this pen. The reason I asked was that I did not see any translucency in the pen from the capped photos.

Timebandit

The body wasnt the problem with the painting, it was the cap. With the size of hole in the body there is significantly more wall thickness compared to the cap with that 7/16 hole. Also since i had to fix the body it meant that the diameter of the body got smaller, which in turn forced me to make the cap smaller and thinner to make the shape look anything worth looking at. I think that if i hadnt had to make the cap smaller it might not be as noticeable.

I like a pen without a clip as well. The only problems I have without one is people asking where is the clip and the clips do help to keep a pen from rolling off a desk. You made a great point about painting and the threads. This makes me think that a little thicker walls would be prudent on using Lucite such as what you have used for this pen. The reason I asked was that I did not see any translucency in the pen from the capped photos.

Very cool pen, colors and shape. I see absolutly nothing wrong with the pictures. They are clear and you can see everything very well. I really really want to do pens like this but those thin threading for the nib and cap scare me. what happens when the person who buys a beautiful pen like this drops it 1 time?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
That's a great classic design Justin. The clips will come in time, but some pens look better without the clip which can breakup the profile. Personally I would challenge you to start making the barrels a little thinner. The transition is a little steep to the threads. and the cracks - they're part of the fun. I have a whole bucket full. Keep it up.

Timebandit

I guess that depends on the surface they drop it and how it hits that surface. I direct hit at the right angle on a hard surface and they will probably snap. This is just something that you would have to tell your customers before they purchased a pen like this from you. Some people are more accident prone and some people would never drop there PEN!!! I thnk this is just a trade off you hae to make to make pens such as this.

No guts no glory right?? right???????

Very cool pen, colors and shape. I see absolutly nothing wrong with the pictures. They are clear and you can see everything very well. I really really want to do pens like this but those thin threading for the nib and cap scare me. what happens when the person who buys a beautiful pen like this drops it 1 time?

Last edited:

ldb2000

Great job Justin . I wouldn't worry too much about dropping the pen and breaking it , due to the ultra light weight it won't hit the floor with much force and Lucite is very resilient . If it is abused it could break but so could a Mont Blanc , fountain pen users are quite aware of the fragility of their pens and handle them accordingly .

wiset1

Fantastic looking pen! The shape truly has a balance to it and looks like it would be very comfortable to write with.

wizard

I love it and like it better without a clip. For some reason, I think the clip would take away from the beauty of this pen. Then again, I carry my fountain pen to work in a pen case. Awesome job. Thanks for showing. Doc

cnirenberg

Justin,
I like the pen as is, without a clip. Its got a great shape and I like type of lucite you used. Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting all the pics too.

TomW

The only problems I have without one is people asking where is the clip and the clips do help to keep a pen from rolling off a desk.

Also, you really don't want to carry a fountain pen without a clip. Body heat, changes in air pressure, etc really will screw up a shirt or pocket. DAMHIKI.

Nice pen, tho.

Tom

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think you did a great job on it too. The small step from threads to body is perfectly acceptable and the pen looks 'correct' if you know what I mean. I prefer a clip, but because there is no other metal trim rings etc, I think this looks fine with out one. :biggrin:

Top Bottom