2nd Gator and 1st FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DavidWayne1971

A friend decided for her Bday she wanted me to make her a FP. All she said was that she wanted it to be pretty, and she wanted a medium nib on it. Well the parts were ordered, she came this weekend and watched me make it, and said she couldnt imagine it being more beautiful. Thanks to everyone over at the FP forum for their input, and a huge TY to Roy at Classicnibs and tkbarron for the kits and blanks. Im still trying to get the hang of taking pics, so bear with me on them... lol

Attachments

• 005-2.jpg
    005-2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 007-2.jpg
    007-2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 016-2.jpg
    016-2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 237
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

David, job well done:biggrin:, now the bad news:frown:. If I ever see you put a nib facing down into a stand:mad: (Picture # 2) again I will send my uncle Three Fingers Tony :cool:to pay you a visit...Thats one of the best ways to ruin a nib there is.
Otherwise that is a pen to be proud of...

Last edited:
David, job well done:biggrin:, now the bad news:frown:. If I ever see you put a nib facing down into a stand:mad: (Picture # 2) again I will send my uncle Three Fingers Tony :cool:to pay you a visit...Thats one of the best ways to ruin a nib there is.
Otherwise that is a pen to be proud of...
Give em hell Roy, don't want to destroy the nib

robersonjr

David, I think I like this one better than the green one. Very nice. Keep up the fantastic work. Uncle Roger

ghostrider

I think that is one of the nicest gator pens I've seen so far. That blank looks very well balanced between the gator, and the composite. The color, and it's depth are shown off quite well in the pics.

Its reverse painted black, with 3 coats of thin and 6 coats of medium CA, polished to 12k and EEE wax. And I had no clue about standing it on the nibs, it was only done long enough for a few pics... but I will keep that in mind next time. Thanks for all the comments

OKLAHOMAN

Its reverse painted black, with 3 coats of thin and 6 coats of medium CA, polished to 12k and EEE wax. And I had no clue about standing it on the nibs, it was only done long enough for a few pics... but I will keep that in mind next time. Thanks for all the comments
David I hope you've taken that in the spirit it was posted in with tongue planted firmly in my cheek. Uncle Three fingers name is really Anthony:biggrin:, I realized you only did it for the photo.

Last edited:
Oh I did.... trust me, I laughed out loud when I read that. But at the same time, I took it seriously as I never want to ruin a customers pen by doing something stupid like that... it really never even dawned on me when I was taking the pics.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
AND! :) To get rid of the shadow, (that could be uncle Tony, sneaking up on you) :eek: :biggrin: You may want to bring in a couple daylight bulbs, one each off to each side. Great looking pen. AND, I didn't hear any "sissy" complaining about the smell! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

AND! :) To get rid of the shadow, (that could be uncle Tony, sneaking up on you) :eek: :biggrin: You may want to bring in a couple daylight bulbs, one each off to each side. Great looking pen. AND, I didn't hear any "sissy" complaining about the smell! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LMAO!!! Actually while turning the pen, I did chuckle a bit at everyone saying how bad the smell was. Smells like the swamps to me, and Im used to that. Dad came out and commented that antler smells alot worse. Although, Im sure the smell would have been worse if it had been the full jawbone I was turning.

As far as the shadow, Im wanting to build a lightbox for the pics soon... right now Im using a 3 sided display board to reflect the flash and get the best light possible. I also realized after these pics that Ive been getting too close to take the pics, several of them came out unusable because they were out of focus. Im new to alot of this, but I am learning as I go, and the help Ive gotten from IAP has been invalueable. :good:

tkbarron

Try cutting 100 of them (raw bone) with a bandsaw on a hot afternoon. They smell real good. The odor doesn't dissipate for at least a couple of hours. Thank God for respirators!!

Tom

Last edited:

76winger

DavidWayne1971 said:
LMAO!!! Actually while turning the pen, I did chuckle a bit at everyone saying how bad the smell was. Smells like the swamps to me, and Im used to that. Dad came out and commented that antler smells alot worse. Although, Im sure the smell would have been worse if it had been the full jawbone I was turning.

As far as the shadow, Im wanting to build a lightbox for the pics soon... right now Im using a 3 sided display board to reflect the flash and get the best light possible. I also realized after these pics that Ive been getting too close to take the pics, several of them came out unusable because they were out of focus. Im new to alot of this, but I am learning as I go, and the help Ive gotten from IAP has been invalueable. :good:

Check out this thread where I described trials I went through making my own photo booth, maybe it will help get you going:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f24/photo-booth-shakedown-opintions-welcomed-74186/

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

reiddog1

Very nice gator pen. I need to get off my a** and get one of those blanks. I feel it a travesty that I live in New Orleans and haven't turned one.

Dave

Top Bottom