2nd Closed End - Need input

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

This is my second closed end pen. The first I did for the PITH. It is a Jr Gent.

First let me say I am not happy with the colors. I knew this was an "experiment" so I wasn't as selective with the blanks as I could have been. The cap is black...no problem there. The pen body, I thought was a white and black. it is more of a grey and brownish-purple, so the whole thing doesn't really match.

What I want to know is what your opinions are on the shape of the pen, particularly the closed end.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_8494a-web.jpg
    IMG_8494a-web.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_8497aweb.jpg
    IMG_8497aweb.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8500a-web.jpg
    IMG_8500a-web.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I honestly like the shape and look of the design; however, the pattern in the material takes away from the effort when I'm looking at it. I think alone the blank is pretty slick, but adding in that design element throws me. If it were a different pattern...? Overall I like it though

brownsfn2

First of all I like the quality of the workmanship and the shape of the pen. You really did an excellent job turning it. I think anyone would be happy to own it.

IMHO the closed end on the pen does not stand out enough because of the body material. It is almost like there is too many angles. I am having a hard time describing what I mean so I hope you understand me. It is a cool shape and makes the pen unique but needs a different blank.

edicehouse

First of all I like the quality of the workmanship and the shape of the pen. You really did an excellent job turning it. I think anyone would be happy to own it.

IMHO the closed end on the pen does not stand out enough because of the body material. It is almost like there is too many angles. I am having a hard time describing what I mean so I hope you understand me. It is a cool shape and makes the pen unique but needs a different blank.

I think I see what you are saying. I wonder if he had the body as black and cap as the other, if it would show off the body more.

woodgraver

I like the shape of the body but think the pattern does seem to distract some. I also agree that anyone would be very happy to own such a unique work though. Great job!

Atherton Pens

I like the length of the closed end, but to be honest, I'm not sold on the shape. May be just the blank colors and figure that take away from the workmanship. One question, how did you sand and finish the indentation?

G1Pens

I agree with all the comments. Like I said, I knew I would be trying something different and didn't really think through the use of the blanks. I'll probably make a new cap for the pen and use the black top with another pen.

That still leaves a "busy" blank with the closed end design, but hey....I'm not gonna toss it. :)

Atherton Pens

PLEASE, don't take my comments as a suggestion to "toss-it". It's a nice pen and certainly worth keeping. If you don't want, it send it my way or bring it to the next meeting and we can work out a deal.....

I agree with all the comments. Like I said, I knew I would be trying something different and didn't really think through the use of the blanks. I'll probably make a new cap for the pen and use the black top with another pen.

That still leaves a "busy" blank with the closed end design, but hey....I'm not gonna toss it. :)

G1Pens

I like the length of the closed end, but to be honest, I'm not sold on the shape. May be just the blank colors and figure that take away from the workmanship. One question, how did you sand and finish the indentation?

First....Thanks for the comments and I would never toss a pen because of a comment on here....even if I thought you meant that :)

Second...I sanded through the MM by hand and then buffed it.

Third...I'm not sold on the shape either...which is why I asked for comments. I think it is close, but not sure it is right. And...the blank may be part of it as everyone has noted.

Last edited:

BSea

I agree. I do like the concept though. I think if there were less curves in the pen, and instead of the indent, maybe slightly convex. But I do think the beveled end adds some style.

EDIT: after looking at it again, the shape overall is fine. There are not too many curves, I think it's just the pattern and the indent that I'd change.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

The concept is killer. I bet that shape would pop HARD on a bright red blank. Like fire engine red. The blank DOES hold you back on this one, but for an experiment, you really hit something interesting.

Top Bottom