2nd Chubby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wicook

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicook

After Friday's mostly success with a chubby slimline, I decided to try another...this time with a piece of oak. Putting the first groove right on the junction worked as well as I'd hoped it would. I also stopped and did the 1/4-turn as I approached the final diameter to keep the top and bottom in alignment. The oak leaves a bit more open grain than other woods, but the quarter-sawn sample has some nice chatoyence. The picture is cropped a bit too tightly, but it shows the pen detail fairly well.

2005370229_Chubby%20Slimline%20Oak%20400.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I really like this pen but the grain pattern has me confused. Does the wood really have two distinct grain patterns running at a consistent angle to each other or is this something you did with a tool?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful use of the oak's natural beauty and character. That is what I am searching for in experimenting as a newbie. It is easy to imagine the grain of a few knots but the unusual features like this is the sign of a true artist.

woodscavenger

I had an oak pen cut on an angle that had some really cool grain structure. It didn't show too well so I use a piece of sandpaper from the previously sanded walnut pen and wet sanded the oak. the walnut dust impregnated the pores and really made the grain stand out. It was cool. Your grain structure doesn't seem to need any help. Well done.

wicook

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Yes, Bill, when quartersawn, oak does indeed have grain patterns running perpendicularly. I didn't mention it earlier, but the wood was scavenged from an oak toilet seat. I'm not sure that would make it an easy sell if I told a potential buyer... [;)] At any rate, my wife and I have had a chuckle or two over how good an old toilet seat can look in a radically different form!

wicook

One of the guys at the office suggested today that I could call it a bum pen, while another suggested that it could be called a pen made from recovered material from the library! I like both suggestions. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom