2nd CA Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hunter-27

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Another slimline(don't trust myself yet finishing an expensive kit)

Only my 2nd CA attempt so still looking for opinions/advice

Wood is a piece of the Cedar I was trying to trade away a while back.(did not know it would be that vice of a piece when I started.

2008216193443_Cedar%20Pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Nice pen good finish, Cedar presents some problems with CA, it soaks it up, but after a few months of use, it starts to show bald spots, I think it has something to do with the natural oils in Cedar, I've had it happen on two pen out of 7 or 8 done with cedar.:( but it's still fun to play with.:D

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by bitshird

Nice pen good finish, Cedar presents some problems with CA, it soaks it up, but after a few months of use, it starts to show bald spots, I think it has something to do with the natural oils in Cedar, I've had it happen on two pen out of 7 or 8 done with cedar.:( but it's still fun to play with.:D
I've heard that. :( I'm banking on the BLO 1st coat to seal that off.(fingers crossed) :)

babyblues

Nice! I like the shape of that pen. There are few slimlines that I've seen that I like, but that's one of them.

The thing is, making the barrels for more expensive kits is no more difficult than the cheaper kits. When it comes to finishing the barrels, the finish doesn't care what pen it's matched with. Give it a try and I think you'll be surprised with how well you'll do. ;)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by babyblues

Nice! I like the shape of that pen. There are few slimlines that I've seen that I like, but that's one of them.

The thing is, making the barrels for more expensive kits is no more difficult than the cheaper kits. When it comes to finishing the barrels, the finish doesn't care what pen it's matched with. Give it a try and I think you'll be surprised with how well you'll do. ;)
TY, Not more expensive or harder to MAKE, but way more expensive to RUIN while I learn(guess I would only be out the tubes and blanks if things went too haywire). I think I've got it figured out, now I'll put it to my more expensive kits. I had been using the finishes used in gun stock production. They look great but take far to long to do.(Gosh, maybe I'm just too impatient)

Top Bottom