2mm Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Finally got around to playing with one of the Rockler 2mm pencils..
A little tricky figuring out the right drills to use... needed to drill each end different... 7mm drill at top and 15/64" at nib end..
Did the drilling on the lathe from both ends... nib end only drilled about 1.5" deep after drilling top end.
First time using my new Axminster chuck, what a dream.. mandrel ran dead one and straight... I am going to like that.. Since the nib end was drilled smaller than a A mandrel, I actually screwed the mandrel into the wood at the nib end and used my cone head on the live center at the tail stock to hold it in place..
Since this was a trial, the wood is just a nice plain piece of ash.. nothing fantastic.. actually from an old hoe handle.. due to an idiot mistake it is about 1/8" shorter than it was supposed to be...
Sanded to 800 grit, then a quick CA finish sanded to 12000MM and Ren Wax...

20057513535_2mmPencil.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />...I actually screwed the mandrel into the wood at the nib end and used my <b>cone head</b> on the live center...
<br />
Does that make you Dan Akroyd (Beldar) or Jane Curtin? [:D] And, didn't that hurt?

Oh yeah...the pen came out pretty good too Tom! [:D]

Czarcastic

Tom:
Very neat, and good looking.. but I have a question: What keeps it from rolling off my workbench? Most of the woodworkers pencil kits that I have seen have either a clip, a flat end, or squared-off Center bands to keep them in place. This looks like it would end up on the floor in about a minute and a half, and its just too nice for that kind of abuse [;)]
Is there a clip hidden 'round back?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Czarcastic.... what keeps it from rolling off you workbench is keeping it in the pocket of your work apron [:p][;)]
Since this was more of a let's see if I can actually make one of these suckers, instead of a MMMMM, let's see if we can make one that actually does all it should projects... I opted to not put the clip on.... in plain English... NEVER THOUGHT OF IT [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom