2mm Mechanical Titanium Golf Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chuck Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Key

All the fancy titanium golf clubs in the world will not lower you score but this pencil will, guaranteed! It is based on the Rockler Cabinetmaker Set that Penworks introduced this week.

200561231953_birdie.jpg

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very cool chuckie, nicely done! Mine didn't have an eraser, on it, so I don't know how it's gona lower my score [:D] I bet it is very light, could have used it when I had good knees and use to walk the course for exercise. Well done [;)]

Chuck Key

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Nice Chuck. What grade titanium is that? Did it start from barstock?

It started from a 5/8" solid rod. Not sure what grade, I got the rod from another member here 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe he can help with that.

Chuckie

Chuck Key

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Chuckie, what type of lathe are you using? I assume a metal lathe with carbide tooling?

I used one of the small 7x12 mini metal lathes and an indexed tool holder with TCMT carbide inserts. I just use the $2.00 inserts from the Dollar Store at CarbideDepot.com My lathe is really dialed in right now and it was a pleasure to turn that pen. I thought about going for fins but by the time I got to that point my nerves were a bit frazzled so just went for the grooves by trying to keep track of the turns on the compound and crossslide.

Right now, I am doing my turning one or a combination of 4 lathes. Two wood and two metal.

Chuckie

btboone

Great job with spacing and depth of the grooves as well as the finish. Those mini lathes are surprisingly accurate. I tend to use the cheap inserts too.[:)] I used to buy the $20 ones meant for titanium, but I found that when they die, they would take my $100 part with it. The cheaper inserts tend to dull before dying, so they give a bit of warning first. I also learned that by slowing down my speeds, I was able to go from around 20 parts per side of an insert to something like 600. That's the School of Hard Knocks for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom