A 23 year project... No really!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK, Please say I'm not the only one...

As a kid in the 70's I loved the thin Cross wooden pens bought at a Hallmark store. $20 - not possible.

First house after marriage - 1990, with a basement workshop space. Needed to build a deck, so while looking at woodworking magazines to figure what a saw was... I saw an ad at the back: "Beginner's Drill Press Pen Kit" from HUT. I got 20 slimline pens, 20 slimline pencils, 40 blanks and necessary attachments for my drill press. (I won't share what I made ) I DO still have one though.

But... I did still have the box, and found a pair of blanks that were drilled and glued back in 1991 (I think...). So, why not...

I believe it is Maple. I used Wood Turners Finish for the first time. 5 coats, renaissance wax. An acceptable finish for the first time. Not a masterpiece, but possibly a classic!!!

Please tell me others have taken longer... Please...

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Only way I could top that is the tree I helped my dad plant in 1975. I grabbed a limb off it this last fall and brought it back here(I was on vacation). I haven't thought about which kit I'm going to put it on.....

So does planting the tree and waiting for it to drop a limb count?

Scott (you don't mind waiting) B

plantman

Mark; I have a few pen kits in the back of one drawer that are someware in the 10-15 year range. Every once in a while I will put one together. Some of these kits may have not been seen by todays pen turners. Usualy the refills are dried up and need to be replaced, but using modern day blanks, some nice pens can be made. Jim S

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sure... If a Bear sh... in the woods... oh never mind.

You got me - its a project in the works. But, the wood is probably dry Scott...

Have fun. A tree with your Dad - Now that's seriously special. Or...Maybe a small memorial plaque for a special recently gone, but remembered shop buddy?...

Last edited:

plantman

Only way I could top that is the tree I helped my dad plant in 1975. I grabbed a limb off it this last fall and brought it back here(I was on vacation). I haven't thought about which kit I'm going to put it on.....

So does planting the tree and waiting for it to drop a limb count?

Scott (you don't mind waiting) B

Scott; :bananen_smilies051: Sentimental value always counts !!!! I bet your father would be delightd to have a pen made from that tree. Jim S

TimS124

I have some furniture projects that are probably at least that far overdue…I keep getting distracted by smaller/shorter/faster projects.

Nice pen and now it has a cool story as well.

Top Bottom