223 Remington

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

I had mentioned earlier that I should be able to make a pen from a 5.56 NATO a.k.a. 223 REM shellcase, and I decided to whip one up just to prove to myself that I hadn't lied.

Attachments

• 223Pen.jpg
    223Pen.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 475
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

I had mentioned earlier that I should be able to make a pen from a 5.56 NATO a.k.a. 223 REM shellcase, and I decided to whip one up just to prove to myself that I hadn't lied.

What a great looking pen, I think you should show a .308 or similar next to it for scale though.

I actually drilled one of these out yesterday and couldn't decide which way to go, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I have some fired shells here and was able to get some bullets for them, both hollow points and ballistic points.

Jgrden

Hey, I want to see more of those. I am confused over the copper, nickle and satin brass combo. Let's try chrome: nib, band and clip.

Sylvanite

Here is a picture of the two halves apart. You can see that the entire lower slimline tube is present - and much of it extends from the 223 case head. Even so, the transmission isn't inserted as deep as usual. The press-fit part is just barely all in. The upper barrel is longer than a slimline tube by the same amount that the lower tube sticks out. The tube is glued flush at the nib end, leaving an unsupported section of blank that slips over the lower tube. This is very similar to how I make 308 Winchester pens, except that more tube and more transmission are exposed.

I haven't given much thought to listing this cartridge for sale on my website, but I certainly could make it by special order. I've done custom calibers several times before.

I hope this picture shows the colors a little better. The bullet is copper-jacketed; the case is brass, the blank is camo dymondwood, and the kit is 24k gold.

I'll try to post a pic with other pens present (to give a sense of scale) soon.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• 223PenApart.jpg
    223PenApart.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 216

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
The tube is glued flush at the nib end, leaving an unsupported section of blank that slips over the lower tube. This is very similar to how I make 308 Winchester pens, except that more tube and more transmission are exposed.

Maybe doing it with a mini keypen or teachers pen ink refill and clip would work ok too if you were afraid of having too much wood unsupported there. My worry would be a customer forcing the top on and it going crooked a little and spliting. Just an idea :)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Ahhhh, the memories those bring. I still have a nice scar from one.....LOL Gret to see one used for something worthwhile for a change.

Top Bottom