223 Proof of Concept

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alzey

Alzey

Been working on some designs for bullet pens. So this last weekend I finally got around to drilling and building a .223 and a .270 lower pen pen section. The 270 ran into a major issue pressing in the transmission. Major wrinkles and still didn't get it pressed in far enough. Need to build a better block to support the casing while I press in the transmission.

The 223 came out a bit better. Still have some wrinkling at the mouth of the casing while pressing in the transmission. Not as bad as the 270 but works enough to make sure I have everything figured out right.

Casing is spent brass Winchester 223, projectile is a Hornady GMX .224 and the wood is Chechen.

Comments and criticisms welcome. Also, if you have a idea of how to keep from wrinkling the casing while pressing in the transmission, I'm all ears.

Attachments

• 223 proof 1.jpg
    223 proof 1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 377
  • 223 proof 2.jpg
    223 proof 2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

I have built several bullet pens in most of the calibers and only had the wrinkle problem with on casing and I pretty much know why. I had sanded a gouge out of the casing and didn't realize how thin I had sanded it to. How are you mounting the transmission? Is it a press in tranny or are you pressing in a center coupler with tranny threads like a cigar pen? In either case make sure it is only a press fit and not too much of an interference fit.

Alzey

The transmission is a standard 7mm slimline. Going to try and make a press block that matches the shape of the casing instead of just a tapered hole.

Sylvanite

Alzey,

It's a good start. The case shoulder is the weak point on most rifle cartridges, especially 223 Rem. That is where it will buckle first. I recommend reaming out the tube at the case head before seating the transmission. That will help keep it from binding.

Also, if I may, the bullet looks like it'is seated quite deep. Somewhere around 2.100" COAL (cartridge overall length) would be about right.

You may also want to consider using a mini-refill instead of a standard Cross refill. It makes an easier match to such a short cartridge.

I hope that helps,
Eric

lago

I have made a half dozen or so pens with the .223 cartridge and the only problem I have encountered is a small circular indentation on the bullet nose from the seater die. I have melted the lead out and guess that too much force can cause the problem. So far, no problem with the case.

I use Hornady 68gn BTHP #2278 and seat to a length of about 2.45" which leaves about 2.5" for the upper. Since I am a reloader, the case is resized and bullet is seated with only case neck tension holding the bullet in place. I can seat a transmission and so far, have not had any movement of the bullet or wrinkles in the case.

Lago

SDB777

Always thought the .223 cartridge to be too small for a good grip, and I don't have monster-type hands either....but the .270Win case is great for holding comfortably.
I would be most interested in finding out what the sales comparisons are between the different cartridges, from your standpoint of course.

I didn't notice any 'wrinkling'....but I can see where that would be an issue with any real cartridge that has been fired once(or more).

Well turned!!!

Scott (done my share of reloading) B

Alzey

Alzey,

Also, if I may, the bullet looks like it'is seated quite deep. Somewhere around 2.100" COAL (cartridge overall length) would be about right.

Went back over my measurement and I was off a bit. Redid the lower sections by positioning the bullet were it would be if the tip was not drilled out.

As for the 223 being too small for use, I thought the same thing when I first looked at doing one. It you are used to thin slimlines, it is about the same and is actually quite comfortable to write with.

Made 3 more bullet pens today. A 223 with Chechen and 308 and 270 with East Indian Rosewood.

Comments and Critiques welcome.

Attachments

• Bullet Pens.jpg
    Bullet Pens.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 108
Top Bottom