22.5 degrees of fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rsx1974

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsx1974

I just started making pens 3 months ago and stumbled across this web site, you all have been a great inspiration!! Thank you.
I wish I could take better pictures but here is one I just finished using African Blackwood, Bloodwood and Curly Maple. All the cuts were done at 22.5 degrees. I simply cut, glued, rotated 90 degress, cut, glue, rotate ect...

20074323344_segmented60.jpg

Here is another one made from Cross Cut Padauk. ( better lighting)

20074323521_Baron%20Padauk60.jpg

by the way this is my first post so I hope its not all jacked up??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Great job! Can you please tell me where you placed the bloodwood and black wood? I can't see the difference.
I love these kinds of pens![:D]

Jamie

The pens are attractive, the edges seem to meet up properly and the finishes look great. Was that 3 months or 3 years? You must be a fast learner or I'm a sloth.

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Great job! Can you please tell me where you placed the bloodwood and black wood? I can't see the difference.
I love these kinds of pens![:D]

I like them as well, nicey done and not just for such a new penmaker.
I think the blackwood is on the nib, clip and c.b. ends and the bloodwood is in the middle of each body and cap.

rsx1974

Ron MC, oobak was right about the wood sequence, I hope to be able to take better pictures in the future, pictures never seem to do the work justice.

Jamie, thanks for the comments. It's been just over 3 months for me but I have been a woodworker for 15 years now just never before on a lathe. So it helps having at least some background with working with woods and finishes.

Even though I've been doing this for 3 months, I think just finished up my 120th pen, thats almost 1 a day for the last three month's. Thank God people have been buying my pens or my wife would kill me!

Saying this hobby is addicting is a severe understatement!!

I think this web site is rather addicting also, there are so many great ideas out here and complete strangers willing to help you out. You just don't see that in day to day buisness.

Thanks agian for all your great comments.

John

rsx1974

Ron MC,

I just looked at your photo album and web site WOW[:0] you do amazing work!! I will send you a higher quality picture of the pen to your web site. Some of your checkerboard blanks could be really handy, you must really have to drill those dead center to get the best effect.

Thanks agian for your commens, and agian you make some very inspiring pens....WOW.

John

mick

this is COnnie, not Mike.... love your work-- Mike does some like that and they are favorites of most everyone! In regards to your pictures, try taking them in indirect sunlight or put a piece of vellum or white paper to keep the sunlight from hitting it directly. Some people put a piece on the opposite side, to bounce the light back on. Its not like I'm an expert, b/c about 2/3 of the pictures on our site needs to be redone... but we're learning. The best ones I've taken, were at a show (a very slow one!) and we were set up near a door that opened to the back- there was a brick wall blocking most of the afternoon sun, so I had no shadows, good clean light- used two pieces of white vellum for a backdrop. While I haven't posted in ages, I have been reading some of the posts about making light boxes and such-- do a search and read on the photo set ups-- these guys here have some great ideas, tips and expert advice!

Keep up the good work!
Connie (mike's other half)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom