21 month beginner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

I have now been at this game for 21 months. It is a very exciting little venture to say the least. I have tried to expand my knowledge, and learning kitless has been a rough road for me. I have destroyed a large number of pieces all kinds. I have finally made it to the point that I had one stay together. It is the first of what I hope to be one of many. It is a couple of Acrylics from woodcraft and a piece of Ebonite(that stuff stinks) Comments and Critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.
1stkitless002_zps4ddbda7f.jpg

1stkitless003_zps9eadea43.jpg

1stkitless004_zps46250e1f.jpg

1stkitless006_zps34fe2aa6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

For a first custom/kitless, that turned out really good. That looks like a #5 size nib and those smaller nibs seem to be tougher for me to make sections for. But you got thru that one; section profile looks good. Cap length is proportional to the overall length of the pen. Looks like the cap (first pic) is not closing all the way... maybe it just looks like it because of the taper on the lower body? But overall a very good looking pen.

firewhatfire

thanks for all of the comments. It is #5 nib and yes it was tough to make. I had fun with it and will do some more. I will not be using ebonite (that stuff just stinks more than I want to use it) I can still smell it a day later.

Robert111

Congratulations! Good looking pen!

I try to get a good seamless joint where the section butts up to the barrel so I don't chamfer the barrel end (I see you didn't chamfer the section end--that's good). It's nice if the surfaces are flat and the same diameter so that when you make a pen with the section in the same material as the barrel, the joint just disappears.

wizard

Phil, You did a GREAT job!! You are well on your way! Your threads look great. Beautiful color combination. Have a feeling we will be seeing many more. LOL..agree with the ebonite. Congratulations! Regards, Doc:)

Tortoise

Well this pen must have been a huge hit. My wife took it to work and someone liked so much it disappeared from her desk. That's the 1st one stolen.

That's crummy. Let's hope whoever took it actually knows how to use a fountain pen and has some ink or cartridges so they can continue using it.

Despite the theft, it's a great start. Keep 'em coming!

Daniel

Sorry to hear about the theft. You can see it as a complement in a way. My daughter had one of mine stolen from her. It was totally of her design also. I didn't take it as complement either. Thieves are not to smart though. Maybe they will show up at the next meeting taking notes with it. Would make for an interesting meeting he he.

Top Bottom