2015 MPG demo pens - Alternatives to Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

This year at the MPG, I had the honor and privilege to share my ideas and process in making pens with theme, logo, or character without casting. I had a great time and hope that my tips help spark some new ideas with the members.

Here are my demo pens:
Group 1 - Batman on acrylic Jr, police evidence tape zen, chinese finger cuffs zen,
colorful tissue paper cigar, cupcake paper camo bolt action, smarties wrapper
executive on homemade blank
Group 2 - IAP waterslide sierra, denim 70's sierra, burlap paper flower sierra, minnie
sticker pearl acrylic sierra, beer lable on carbonfiber sierra, stamps sierra
Group 3 - crayon lables on acrylic slimline, paper cutouts sierra, pickguard MBL sticker
ash sierra, movie of the month sticker sierra, painted bamboo skewers sierra
pinewood derby vinyl wrap knight pen.

All were made with no casting. Just CA and imagination.
All comments welcome, thanks!
John

Attachments

• group 1_732x600.JPG
    group 1_732x600.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 652
  • group 2_600x600.JPG
    group 2_600x600.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 542
  • group 3_647x600.JPG
    group 3_647x600.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 544
  • smarties_800x262.JPG
    smarties_800x262.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 397
  • color zebra_800x306.JPG
    color zebra_800x306.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 374
  • dragon_800x365.JPG
    dragon_800x365.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 307
  • denim 70's_226x600.JPG
    denim 70's_226x600.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 337
  • burlap_800x280.JPG
    burlap_800x280.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 355
  • minnie_800x377.JPG
    minnie_800x377.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 401
  • batman_800x454.JPG
    batman_800x454.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 410
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

John, great group of pens. Thanks for sharing. It sure will spark some good ideas from members here to try.

JohnU

John not only told us how to do these pens but also where to get the materials. Outstanding presentation!

Good job.. Where do you get the pictures?

I made the waterslide IAP decal and the crayon wrappers, but the others can be found at Hobby Lobby, or craft stores. Just check the scrapbook and stationary isles... but you'll have to hit your local police department up the evidence tape. lol Also, you can find the stamps and cigar bands on ebay. The Smarties wrapper came from the candy. The Goose Island label came from the beer bottle and the batman and green dragon looking stuff came from the model car isle with the pinewood derby supplies.

Thanks and I hope this is a nice starting point for you all to build on.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
John, you spoon-fed us so many suggestions, hints, leads, and explanations for an incredible variety of blanks... THANK YOU!

I now need to clear out about 3 years of time...

I Loved the Batman (especially the finial) and the St Louis Cards pens!

You are an idea machine! (and an unselfish one).

Well done.

magpens

Fantastic creativity, John !!!! Wish I could have been at MPG to get the full scoop !

Magicbob

It was a great presentation, I will not complain the next time my wife wants to stop at the scrapbook store.

jdmacdo

It was his comment at the beginning, 'Two weeks ago, I thought up this idea for a presentation and just did a few different things to show...' if that collection was a couple of weeks effot, I need to seriously ramp up my production...

OZturner

Brilliant, and Limitless Concept, with Superb Exercution, John.
Very Inspiring, would have loved to have been present to hear and see your Presentation and Examples.
Thanks, for Posting.
Brian.

JohnU

Thanks for all the comments. Rich I never felt I had anything to teach or show. They were just a few ideas I had bouncing around my head. I guess I spend too much time looking for pen making ideas. lol I'm just glad there were some people who were inspired. I had made a few of these in the past but had to spend the last two weeks remaking some since they had found new homes. I will say this, after a full bottle of medium CA in about ten days, I had my fill. lol Thanks again!

JohnU

John during your MPG demo you mentioned ultra fine steel wool. Where do you find this product?

My package says ultra fine #OOOO that I bought at my local Menards a while ago but I believe it's just the company's use of the word "ultra" and is the same as what others call "extra"or "super". As long as the number is #OOOO it should be the same.

Michael67

John, You had mentioned some type of "medium" that you used to make the stickers become more flexible to wrap around the tube? I thought you said it was something you bought at Hobby Lobby. Or I'm I just way off on that ? Thanks, Mike

Top Bottom