A 20 Piece Segmented Chevron Finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wow Mark! BEAUTIFUL!

Labors of love like that are difficult to put a price on them. There is a great feeling of completing a pen like that. Congratulations and enjoy it. Keep it away from your wife and enjoy it a while! :biggrin:

Hank, I couldn't agree more! This was a skill challenge that I knew I would get, but it took a bit of time for the opportunity to present itself. My wife is now free and clear to sneak the pen away.

I was setting up to do some demos next month, and this was an obvious chore to get done. After all the trial and error, the needed skill set was easy, just needed to get the center of the pattern set to the center of the glue block for the finial. Basically, just needed to get my head clear and play for 20 minutes.

So much of this was just to "Try!" After a bit of tweaking, it fell into place (or at least close enough...). I do appreciate the comments, makes "losing" the pen to Wifey easier to laugh off! :wink::wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Thought I replied to your thread. Beautiful work. Lots of detail and a trainload of patience. Thanks for sharing the techniques and tools used for this pen. I need to get a can of WOP. Do you recommend any particular brand? Have Lowe's and Woodcraft locally.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thought I replied to your thread. Beautiful work. Lots of detail and a trainload of patience. Thanks for sharing the techniques and tools used for this pen. I need to get a can of WOP. Do you recommend any particular brand? Have Lowe's and Woodcraft locally.

I used Watco, WOP, Gloss (AVA at Woodcraft and others). Sharing is needed more :rolleyes:

Fine, fine looking pen. The carry over of the cap herringbone strips into the cabochon makes for a really nice total package. You've inspired me to think about inlay again!

Thank You! My first attempt might have actually been more "precise" as to the tightness of the segments; but alas, I placed it "out of center" on the spindle, and it was off-center when done. But, I learn more from my failures than my successes.

Woodchipper

But, I learn more from my failures than my successes.
Well spoken. How many times did Thomas Edison fail until he discovered how to make the incandescent light bulb? He stated he knew of many different ways not to make a light bulb. If it wasn't for Edison, we would be watching TV by candlelight!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Sorry for the delay in responding, John.

I use Min Wax Gloss, but I suspect any should be fine. Also, I just got the materials (Thank you Bruce!) to construct a slow speed drying holder (less than $10.00). I will make a tented box and start using this to keep any dust off of the blank as it is drying.

SteveJ

Mark

I don't want to derail the comments and discussion of this magnificent pen, but I would be interested in the construction of the slow speed drying holder you are making.

Top Bottom