A 20 Piece Segmented Chevron Finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Tried this last year and the alignment was not good, this is better. I won't nit pick the minor flaws, but there is room for improvement.

FWIW: Byrnes Model makers Table saw; Byrnes Thickness sander; Craftsman Table saw; Disk sander; magnifying glasses. Padauk, Maple, black veneer. Finish with 6 coats of WOP.

Comments and suggests welcomed.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

firewhatfire

I am glad to see you finally learning some segmenting skills.:hypnotized: just kidding as you know, its excellent.

That looks like a fun project to launch into. maybe 1 day I will try my hand at one of those.

Nice,

Phil

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Also, I assume you have enough from that blank to do a dozen more or so?

The finial was not made from a blank (ie, like a polymer clay "cane"). It was constructed from left over pieces of the Chevron inlays. So it's basically a one-off. However, I do have lots of left-overs :tongue:

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am glad to see you finally learning some segmenting skills.:hypnotized: just kidding as you know, its excellent.

That looks like a fun project to launch into. maybe 1 day I will try my hand at one of those.

Nice,

Phil

Slowly getting better, just need more time to play.

Mark,

I believe you can now be called the MASTER segmenter! Beautiful work.

Thank You, but not quite - I'm just gluing stuff together! But I'm having fun!

wood128

Outstanding work on this one Mark. It really takes a steady hand and lots of concentration. I would not even try something that small.......except on paper !!! Hope you are able to do some demos . Take care.:wink::tongue::redface::hypnotized::turtle:

Joe

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Outstanding work on this one Mark. It really takes a steady hand and lots of concentration. I would not even try something that small.......except on paper !!! Hope you are able to do some demos . Take care.:wink::tongue::redface::hypnotized::turtle:

Joe

Hi Joe. I'll be chaperoning the IAP Collection In Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia, and possibly a dinner date in Raleigh/Durham. I will be doing a demo at each chapter on the Chevron Blanks, so yes. Unfortunately, I just won't make in down to Florida this road trip. But plans can change!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is really amazing work Mark. Can you put guess on how long you worked on that pen?

Hi Jason, A rough estimate:

1. Making the block for the Chevrons - 2 hr (enough for 3 pens).
2. Making the actual Chevron Inlays - 1 hr.
3. Gluing up the Chevron Blank - 15 min
4. Typical drill, glue, turn, make the end caps, etc - 1 hr
5. Make the Finial - 30 min
6. Turn the finial - 15 min
7. Assembly - 10 min
8. Finish (I use WOP multiple coats 6 hrs apart - 2-3 days).

so over the coarse of a week, about 6 hrs. But then I don't sell pens, just give them away or my wife snags them, so I'm not in a hurry.

Try it!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Wow Mark! BEAUTIFUL!

Labors of love like that are difficult to put a price on them. There is a great feeling of completing a pen like that. Congratulations and enjoy it. Keep it away from your wife and enjoy it a while! :biggrin:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That's amazing! A beautiful finial that really shows off your skill - and patience! Your blanks are stunning, but this takes it up a notch.

G'Day Jay:

After getting the Chevron inlay spacing close to good - the finial was just trial and error for how to get the alignment close. I got lucky and this was only the second try. In spite of a bit of tweaking, I am pretty happy with the result. Close enough is at times close enough! Getting too old to be too fussy...

You and I are taking different medications :biggrin:

It's an awesome pen. :wink:

But tomorrow will be another day my friend. Be well, sleep well. I'll PM you for a date in Sept to warm the garage.

Top Bottom