2 tone mystery wood slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from armyturner

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyturner

I am unsure of what type of wood this is. It is almost as yellow as Osage Orange and the sanding dust from the darker portions was almost purple. Any thoughts??

2007429234240_slimline%20unknown%20wood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Jeremy Looks a lot like caragana . Can`t tell from your photo , but should be well defined annual growth rings in the yellow part . Would have been a tendency for the purple sanding dust to accentuate the growth rings in the yellow wood by filling in the very fine pores at the ring boundaries . Light weight wood . Although that piece looks solid , it would be thumbnail dentable without a CA finish . My favourite wood . Wayne

BigRob777

I've never seen the sapwood on purpleheart, but the dark lines in the purple make me think either kingwood, or some really fresh East Indian Rosewood. I guess it could also be Bois de Rose, with mostly sapwood. I would say with almost certainty, that it is sapwood, with a little heart. There is a wood called palisandra (a faux rosewood, I believe), or something like that, that comes to mind, but I don't know it well enough to make a guess.
No matter what it is, it's a nice pen. I've never come accross deep yellow sapwood. It's quite nice.
Rob

GaryMGg

Looks like defective wood to me; you should send it here so your customers don't think you use inferior materials on their pens. I won't tell anyone. [:p] [:D]

She's gorgeous.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom