2 Sierra's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Here are the 2 Sierra's I turned last night.

First is Cherry Burl in Platinum. Second one is Black Walnut Burl in TN Gold. Both are CA sealed then finished with brushed on lacquer.

Finish sanded this morning, assembled and pictured at lunch time :D

Critique welcome.

Cherry Burl/Platinum
2005111819233_P1000519a.jpg

Black Walnut Burl/TN Gold
20051118192319_P1000521a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

I like the platinum as well. The silver color looks soo good with burls.

For some reason, the gold pens don't look as good to me in this style. Anyway, it looks like the bushing gods bit you too. (at least it looks like there is a small gap between the metal and wood in the top picture)

Dario

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />Anyway, it looks like the bushing gods bit you too. (at least it looks like there is a small gap between the metal and wood in the top picture)

Yep...I was in a hurry to "fix" the bushing which is a bit wobbly. This is what I got. [V]

I'll probably dis-assemble these pens and fix the problem later. I just want to see how it looks. Does that tell you how impatient I am? [:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Dario ... YOU TURN PENS!!!!! .... man all I thought you did was supply good wood...
Sorry, but it has been so long since we have seen some of your work... outstanding pens

Dario

Tom,

I know I should turn more...but these ( http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10527 ) are not that long ago! (just last week actually) [;)]

Dan

Dario,

You really do beautiful work - your mating of kits and woods always "work". You have an eye for the materials and have mastered the the skills to bring the finished product to the table.

Tell us more about your CA and lacquer finish - I gave up on lacquer a while ago when Griz described his CA method. What's the benefit?

Dan
Unionville, VA

Dario

Dan,

Thanks...as to the benefit of lacquer, I cannot tell yet. So far the ones I finished with it are holding up but they are not "used" as much. I better make me one and put it to test.

I bet others can give you better answer.

I find that CA and lacquer are comparable...difficulty and effort wise. Not sure if that is good or bad. I can finish CA faster than lacquer but had some that lost their shine after a while...that is why I decided to try lacquer.

Dario

The walnut burl was snagged right away by my mother-in-law (MIL). LOML was showing her and she loved it [:)]. I actually "owe" her a pen...a visitor came over (retired nun) and I don't have anything to give her. I borrowed my MIL's wooden pen (a Chechen 7mm Euro) and gave it to the nun. MIL is very happy with the upgrade...after we gave it to her...she can't stop complimenting her new pen...best price I can get from my work [:)]

I guess I'll be making more of this pen since SWHTM told me so! [:p][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom