2 quick and simple DCEs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Here are a pair of basic double closed ended kitless pens. Stainless as usual with a #63 Timberbits blank ( orangey one ) and the other I think is ElMostro's. Both rollerballs.
The orange one is straight B2B but other has a taper to both ends.

Been a crappy day here as I had to take my favourite cat to the vet and have him put down. He was a bit off yesterday and the vet gave him a B12 shot. He perked up last night for a bit, but this morning the poor little guy was only breathing about once a minute. :frown:

So I just hid in my workshop most of the day.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 399
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 294
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Our pets are family members...it is a BIG loss when they go. And it is tough when we have to step in and decide that it is time.

Your pens, as usual combine the essence of style and simplicity, which make them pleasing to the eye and hand in an enduring way.

Steve Guzy

Steven, my condolences on the loss of your cat, we recently lost a long time family pet, not pleasant thing to go through. Pens are gorgeous as usual

Ed McDonnell

They look good.

It looks like the orange resin is translucent enough to see where you stopped drilling on the cap. I wonder if you had flared the orange one (like you did the blue one) if it would have been opaque enough at the end to not allow the transition from drilled to undrilled to show? Not having the transition area show on translucent closed end resins is something I continue to struggle with.

Of course, if I'm just blind (and I pretty much am) and seeing something that isn't there, then the previous paragraph should just be ignored.

Sorry about your furry friend.

Ed

John Den

Great pens1
Very sorry to hear about your cat. We had to have ours put to sleep last October after she had a stroke - Very upsetting and it still hurts!
Regards,
John

Russknan

Some acts of love and compassion can be very hard. Yet, if you really love your pet . . .
Hiding in the workshop was a good choice. And the outcome is beautiful. Russ

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the kind comments. They are all appreciated.

Ed, you are 100% correct about seeing through the resin. It's a big deal and I always hate seeing it. I often comment on seeing threads and saying that it spoils a pen. I have a plan to add ss finials to sort it out.:wink:
They look good.

It looks like the orange resin is translucent enough to see where you stopped drilling on the cap. I wonder if you had flared the orange one (like you did the blue one) if it would have been opaque enough at the end to not allow the transition from drilled to undrilled to show? Not having the transition area show on translucent closed end resins is something I continue to struggle with.

Of course, if I'm just blind (and I pretty much am) and seeing something that isn't there, then the previous paragraph should just be ignored.

Sorry about your furry friend.

Ed

jyreene

I think I'm the blind one. I think you might need to send that pen to a third party to verify these threads you are talking about. But really. What are you talking about Ed? Keep in mind seeing people's finished "kitless" and homemade component pens like the ones in this thread are as close as I've come to seeing one in person or making one.

Ed McDonnell

I think I'm the blind one. I think you might need to send that pen to a third party to verify these threads you are talking about. But really. What are you talking about Ed? Keep in mind seeing people's finished "kitless" and homemade component pens like the ones in this thread are as close as I've come to seeing one in person or making one.

Hi Ty - Here's a picture that shows what I was looking at.

The darker spot on the left is the undrilled portion of the cap. The lighter area on the right is where it has been drilled.

In this case it's not the threads (at least not that I could see in the picture), but in many kitless pens made from translucent resin you can see the internal threads through the cap / body. Something that some people (e.g. me) do not like. Others think it looks cool.

I look for these things in kitless pens because I'm struggling with finding an effective way to eliminate them without losing the beauty of a very translucent resin.

Ed

jyreene

Thanks Ed. Picture and explanation make sense. I bet with the right blank it would look okay to decent but now that you mention it I can see it on both ends. I still really like the pens but I do notice it. I know you can only drill so much but would drilling and then reaming it to the very ends so it was consistent all the way. Does that make sense? Would that work?

Ed McDonnell

Thanks Ed. Picture and explanation make sense. I bet with the right blank it would look okay to decent but now that you mention it I can see it on both ends. I still really like the pens but I do notice it. I know you can only drill so much but would drilling and then reaming it to the very ends so it was consistent all the way. Does that make sense? Would that work?

Reamers (at least mine) don't bottom cut. Only side cut. With a "flat top", using an standard end mill and leaving a bottom thickness the same as the side might work. With a rounded top, I thought a ballnose end mill would make for a better looking transtion. I haven't been happy with my results yet.

The translucent pens that look good at the ends are all injection molded. That's not in my future. Skiprat's solution of metal finials is still the best that I can think of.

Ed

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Quick fix?

First, apologies for bumping my own thread. :rolleyes:
Here's what I did to fix it. I was going to make closed ended finials from SS but that would have made them a bit too unbalanced so I simply turned two thin walled stainless sleeves and then a matching tenon on the pen and cap. Fortunately both the original closed ends where slightly thicker than the centre bands so it was a simple case of sanding back the blank to meet the sleeves. :biggrin: I think it looks better now even if the see through blank wasn't a problem. The ends don't look quite as dark as in the pics.

Thanks Ed !!:wink:

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 115

Sandy H.

I thought the first pictures in the thread looked pretty nice. I think the revised ends make the pen extremely nice. I really prefer the SS ends completely.

Sandy.

Top Bottom