2 new fountains from exotic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Artisan iron designs

Hello IAP,
Here are two of the latest FP's I got from exotic blanks (thx ED and Dawn). The gold and silver is the Jr. Abraham and the other is the Jr. Statesman. And of course the Barrels are mine. If I may say I think these are the best fit and finish so far. of course there is always room for improvements. Also just some FYI my guild MASA has hired me to be this years demonstrator for a 2 day event. I will demo my damascus from raw steel to usable bar stock. only problem is most of those guys are the ones who thought me when I was a kid...no pressure lol any way comments are always welcome, have a good one all

Attachments

• IMG_20170904_143649881 (960x540).jpg
    IMG_20170904_143649881 (960x540).jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_20170904_143724663 (960x540).jpg
    IMG_20170904_143724663 (960x540).jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20170904_143835692 (960x540).jpg
    IMG_20170904_143835692 (960x540).jpg
    839.7 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20170904_143918291 (960x540).jpg
    IMG_20170904_143918291 (960x540).jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 243
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The blanks are of their usual superb appearance, but I am happy to see them on more quality kits - your blanks deserved a better set of kits in my opinion.

Well done, Thanks for sharing.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thx mark which kits did you have in mind. I would love to build them

I was actually thinking of the range within the Jr Series... Until you go kitless :)

So, these are well within what I was looking for. No hit on some of the kits you were using, I just believe the quality of damascus deserves more than the typical. One of your last threads you mentioned some fittings that were just not quite as desired. I was not surprised. I have also used that kit with the same observation (and others in the same frame of mass marketing for a "theme"), some of the components were very nice, others, not so. I prefer the blank make the statement, than the kit - I have little input to the kit; if the kit is the drawing power, they can go to anyone else for the pen. But, a good kit is still essential to compliment the blank.

Would you use a piece of pine or Home Depot Oak on a $65.00 kit... Then why put a $65 + blank on a $10 kit. This is just my opinion also.

I have settled into the range of offerings within the Jr Series and find I am much happier using a $15 - $25 kit that a $10 - $12 (or less). Althought I will also say that I like the Jr Gent II for my segmented pens as the finial (cabochon) is easily removed for a custom insert. They also are not too fancy and do not detract from the blank, which in your case (and occasionally mine) is the real hallmark of the pen. They are a solid pen - I go for the better platings, and when I buy in a middle quantity, the price is quite reasonable. At this point, you are talking only a few dollars more for a much better product.

I do love your blanks! Well done.

Last edited:
Thx for the quick response. I am looking for the $30 kit that is simple in design so the billet stands out more and the next one in the que is the full size majestic. I was just looking for suggestions since I am still fairly new to this. Thx again

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thx for the quick response. I am looking for the $30 kit that is simple in design so the billet stands out more and the next one in the que is the full size majestic. I was just looking for suggestions since I am still fairly new to this. Thx again

I do love the Majestic Series as the quality is excellent. For your blanks/billets, the Back Titanium/Rhodium would be brilliant, IMO.

As a matter of fact, I have been using a full Majestic this past week. A very heavy pen. I have a curly Koa blank on it, looks fine. I wish it posted, but I may not be able to hold it and write!!! Then again, I have some Majestic Jrs, that post, and feel a bit unbalanced (long), but I love the quality of the kit. At least with the Jr Majestics, the user has the option to post or not.

Consider the Cambridge also: https://www.exoticblanks.com/Cambridge-Fountain-Pen-Stunning-Silver-Ti-Gold-Accents.html

Welcome to the task of pairing quality kits to quality blanks. Actually, quite fun.

Dehn0045

I really love your work! Personally I like the Jr Statesman better, I think the gold of the Jr Abraham is a little distracting, but it is still a very nice looking pen. I think that a Triton in Black Ti would look nice with your blanks. I wish I could be "fairly new to this" like you, lol, I still have a long way to go until I get to that point. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

I agree with Mark, your blanks are deserving of good quality kits. Those look great, and I'd love to see Majestic Jr in Rhodium/Black Ti dressed to kill with one of your blanks.

thewishman

Love them!!! Beautiful work.

As for demonstrating for the people who taught you, what could be better than having a student excel at the craft. Shows that you learned well and understood well, then added your own experience. What could make a teacher more proud of you?

OZturner

Another two Outstanding Pens Vincent,
Absolutely Magnificent Damascus Steel Blanks.
I love the Tight Twist you apply.
Stunning Craftsmanship.
Brian.

Top Bottom