2 New - Clearance Blank & Ankrom Burl & Swirl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toddlajoie

toddlajoie

Been chained to my desk at work for the past weeks, but when they let me out to hit the john, I sneak off and hit the lathe... Looks like I only had 2 bathroom breaks lately.

First is a blank that was on clearance at Woodcraft, was called "maple syrup, and didn't look like much square. Bought it to make a sample "Atlas" or whatever others call it pen to show people, but when LOML saw it it became a member of her ever growing collection, I didn't photo the better side of the blank, so the photo doesn't do the blank justice, and it was intended to just be a sample, so I didn't double check everything. body near the nib is a bit proud, and not in a good way:

Pens1152.jpg

This is my first attempt at a burl/resin mix, after hearing warning after warning of taking care and using a light touch, I was rather paranoid of destroying a cool one of a kind $12 blank, so I went crazy and took forever just getting it round, then sizing for the kit. The Cigar is one of only 2 sets of Johnny's TBC bushings, and they rock... I need more....This one lives on my desk for the near future, upgraded with a Parker Gel ink refill it writes like a dream...

Pens1154.jpg

Pens1155.jpg

All comments, criticisms and ridicule welcome...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sefali

I bought a bought 100+ clearance blanks from Woodcraft. Maple syrup is in the top 3 so far. Your wife has a good eye.

greggas

Todd...nice pens...love the look of the syrup blank.

Is the lathe in the bathroom ...is it a sit down model?

Sorry I missed your presentation on Sunday...hope to see you at the next one

toddlajoie

oh and be careful the burl/resin blanks can become very addicting very fast :)

Yea, I've got 2 more, I just can't decide what to make with them...One's a bit smaller, so a Cigar may be the largest thing I can get out of it. Maybe a Zen, if I'm lucky in drilling the hole...

Is the lathe in the bathroom ...is it a sit down model?

Yea, I can't read, so there's no need for a magazine rack in there, which leaves plenty of room for a workbench over the throne...

Mark

Love the Cigar. That's a great blank.

If you like the Maple Syrup, you would likely love the Cherry Pie. IMHO.

sefali

Great timing with this thread. I've made 2 pens with the maple syrup blank. The first was snatched up within a couple hours of completion, and I never even got to take pics. The second was just claimed by the same customer. He NEEDED another for his wife, so he could stop worrying about her stealing his. :biggrin:

Jgrden

That Atlas is a beautiful pen. I have done a few of the Atlas kits and they are a nice durable pen. Easy to open, beautiful. I am going to look for some of that Maple Syrup. A++

toddlajoie

I absolutely love the burl combo. Where can I learn how to do that?

Easiest way is to buy them... My pen came from this set (#46) from Ankrom Exotics, but there are several others here on the forum selling them...

Pict0011.jpg

I was a little bummed when I got it turned down and the cool black striping that was all over the outside gave way to the white expanse that just happened to fall at the center band, but those are the breaks with these things, and IMO it's just a matter of the pen being a 9.7 instead of a 9.8...

There's a brand new batch that was just posed here:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62337

but if you keep an eye one the classifieds, they come up quite often, and get snapped up rather quickly...

And thanks for all the kind words everyone!!! Especially Johnny, as his bushings kicked the pen up beyond all the previous Cigars I made which all had OOR issues...Now I'm gonna have to look for Cherry Pie, and I'm hungry...

Last edited:

angboy

I really like the burl and swirl- pretty impressive how there's swirl in something going into a burl- I can't quite grasp how that could be achieved but obviously someone figured it out!

Top Bottom