2 more spun today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jayman72

Jayman72

Hey all,

Been busy today.....

View in Gallery

Base and Cap made with Walnut.
Cap has dual feature rings made from Sapele, Aspen, Aromatic Cedar, Yellowheart and Sapele.
CA Finish
MM to 12K
Liquid Carnauba Wax

View in Gallery

This was from some wood in my back yard that was from a Grapefruit Tree that came down in a storm about 11 years ago. The tree had come down near my fence and eventually the weight shifted and it leaned against said fence and it had to go. As I was cutting it away I realized it was rather dry (15% - 20% according to my meter) and thought I might try spinning some.

Turned out rather nice if I do say so myself. (Yes pun totally intended.)

Both pens got a CA Finish then MM to 12K and finally a Liquid Carnauba Wax and polish.

Hope you like them.

Jay
Tampa, FL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

You know I don't think I have ever heard of a pen turned from Grapefruit tree before. You don't happen to have any Tangerine trees in your backyard do you?

curt

dthayer

Very nice! I love the segmenting -- beautiful. The one turned from the grapefruit tree wood is nice too and gives me some hope... I have some pieces drying from some avocado trees I had to cut down. I have no idea how they will turn or what they will look like, though.

JimB

Both pens are very nice. Hopefully you have a good supply of the grapefruit wood!

BTW, you didn't spin them, you turned them. Spinning is a term used for metal. You can spin soft metals on a lathe to make dishes and other metal items.

Jayman72

Both pens are very nice. Hopefully you have a good supply of the grapefruit wood!

BTW, you didn't spin them, you turned them. Spinning is a term used for metal. You can spin soft metals on a lathe to make dishes and other metal items.

Jim,

I did not know that. Good to know...

Thanks
Jay
Tampa, FL

dthayer

So... if you have a segmented blank that includes metal dividers between the wood, are you turning or spinning? :confused::biggrin:

Top Bottom