2 MM Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Somedays wish I had an engineering backround instead of an art. After seeing some discussion on 2 mm pencils, I allready had these Rockler kits I bought to remake them, but never got around to it, until I saw Chuckie post a kit simular from another company. I really like Eagle's 2mm pencils, but agree with him that I am not crazy about the front section on that PSI kit, to big and bulky.

Took me all night to figure it out even without having all the right tools, I needed a longer bit. If you look real close, the barrel is 2 pieces. I believe I paid like 4.99 for this set which includes extra lead and a fine blue eraser :D
Thaks for lookin. [8D]

Spalted stabilized Tamerind

20056713731_DSC00696.jpg

20056713759_DSC00701.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Cool caligraphy background and the spalted wood is nice! I have a few of the big ones and I am getting annoyed at the soft fat lead. It works for writing on a board but you can't realistically use it for making accurate marks.

PenWorks

Shane, those big pencils are good for drawing, shading, coloring, not real good for a "Woodworkers Pencil". The 2mm lead sharpened is a good one for practical shop use and there is a small market for people that use only 2 mm pencils.

Now go buy a calligraphy book and start you practice! [8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Anthony they are great!
The drilling is tricky, but I have not used the Rockler "kit"
On a conventional kit I have 2 ways to make a "solid"
barrel.
One requires the method you employed, 2 barrels mill and glue.
On a "factory" kit the tubes are normally 1&7/8ths and the addition of the CB makes it 4 inches over all.
If I chuck the drill normally and drill as far as I can, I can drill almost 3&1/8 inches. Since I know I will have to drill deeper I don't worry about how deep as I can get because I am going to readjust the bit to get the remaining depth.
I try to cut the blank as close to 4&1/8th as possib;e. there isn't much room for error but I llke the results of a solid body pencil.
Also.
I will either cut a tube the appropriate length or use the supplied tubes and grind down the CB so I have one 4" tube.
I am going to look for a 2 MM lead holder, I know office supply and drafting stores carry them.

PenWorks

Eagle, the overall length of the wood tubeless barrel is 4 7/8 , Just couldn't get my 4" bit to drill a 5" hole! I will be coming home tonight with a longer bit, as I like the look of a one piece long barrel. Had I used the silver front section above the nib, I could have done it, but I did not think the transition from the wood to the knurled metal piece would look good, so I omitted it.

wayneis

In the new catalog Craft Supply now offers two kinds of lead, soft and hard. The lead that is supplied with the kit is the soft which for my uses is to soft. I'm going to try to remember to pick up the hard when I'm there next week.

Wayne

PenWorks

David, the nib just screws onto the mechanism. Unscrew the nib and it comes right out. If you want to take the knurled front section off. That is tougher, as it is press fit in, but it does come out. Take a punch and knock it out.

alamocdc

Nice pencil, Anthony. For those who don't know, HF has a set of 12" HS bits well worth the money ($7.99 for 5 bits). Common sizes, (1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8") but if that's all you need... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90025
I've been happy with them.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by penworks
<br />I bought to remake them, but never got around to it, until I saw Chuckie post a kit simular from another company.

Excellent of course. The Rockler looks very similar to the Alvin I used. Mine were $4.25 locally and you can save shipping if you are going to the art store any way[;)]

I have noticed the 2mm leads in 2B, HB, F, H, 2H, 3H, 4H, and 6H hardness so there are lots of choices here. <b>TIP:</b> Remove the lead form the kit before working taking it apart, I may save you a broken lead.

Also, a couple of people have mentioned the pen shape alowing it to roll off the desk or bench. Are you going to incorporate the clip in any of yours?

Chuckie

PenWorks

Well Chuckie, funny, you were John just 10 minutes ago on Pal talk [:D] I won't be getting to making a pencil till I get my mess cleaned up. But I was going to cut in for a clip on one and on another, I was going to glue some type of tit, just to keep it from rolling, but not a clip. Something Chuckie told me tonight. his 2mm pencil has a claw nib, while mine had a mechanical advance feed like a regular mechanical pencil. So I have to try his pencil now.

Thanks for the comments.

woodwish

That "kit" looks just like the pencils I used in college when I was moonlighting some as a draftsman. I think I still have those in a drawer somewhere. They were an industry standard until CAD and all the fancy mechanical .5 mm pencils. I may try to find those and see what I can do. Good job on yours, hope I can make one that is as worthy. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom