2 Long Clickers in Lig. Vit. & Spanish OW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A friend in Spain sent me a 7" piece of old growth Lignum Vitae, which his father had for over 65 years. The father when he was alive, treated it as if it was Gold. I felt it was too precious for me to keep, so I turned a pen from it and returned to my friend in memory of his father.
attachment.php

From the 7" piece I had a small piece about 3" left over and wasn't certain what to do with it. My friend had also sent me some Spanish Olive Wood in the same package so I decided to combine the 2 woods and have a connection to my friend in Spain.
attachment.php

Unfortunately my piece of LV has split down the backside of the pen. I contribute that to the dryness (24% hum.) in our house of this past winter. I have been in touch with my friend in Spain who says his pen shows no sign of splitting.

Further to a discussion in another thread in which mention was made with respect to a green tinge in Lignum Vitae, my friend tells me that old growth LV shows no green tinge. That's one way to tell the difference between old (first) and new growth in LV.

I'm hoping later this summer to dismantle my Long Clicker and see whether CA in the crack will fix up the pen. At the present moment it being on the back side of the pen doesn't bother me in the least!

Attachments

• 1044 to Toni C. (Small).jpg
    1044 to Toni C. (Small).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 1048 Toni C.'s LV & SOW (Small).jpg
    1048 Toni C.'s LV & SOW (Small).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 288
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vallealbert

I have seen a great array of pens on this forum...from beautiful ones to extremely beautiful ones...but my favorites are those which have a story...that give a pen a meaning beyond its beauty. Concerning old L. Vitae, you and your friend are correct...very old (or ancient) L. Vitae rarely is green...instead it is brownish with darker streaks. May be your pen cracked if your home have a heater...it is a killer to very dense woods. BTW, beautiful pens...:wink:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have seen a great array of pens on this forum...from beautiful ones to extremely beautiful ones...but my favorites are those which have a story...that give a pen a meaning beyond its beauty.
Concerning old L. Vitae, you and your friend are correct...very old (or ancient) L. Vitae rarely is green...instead it is brownish with darker streaks.
Hi Alexander; Thanks for verifying that!
May be your pen cracked if your home have a heater...it is a killer to very dense woods.
A heater (furnace) is an absolute must in my part of the world. Temperatures down to -30°C during the winter. BRRRR! That's what contributes to such dry air with no humidifier.
BTW, beautiful pens...:wink:
Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated!

Top Bottom