2 for the local Art Show

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigShed

BigShed

Our local Landcare Group is having a local Art Show tomorrow with people beig asked to do something creative with local materials.

First pen to be displayed tomorrow is a Gold Sierra with the blank made from the bark of the local Red Ironbark tree. This bark can be up to 3-4 inches thick. Finish is 12 coats of thin CA after turning the blank, soaking with thin CA to stabilise.

IMG_1209.jpg

Second one is another Gold Sierra with Eucalyptus Burl blank, this came off a roadside tree cut down for road widening in the area.

Finish is again 12 coats of thin CA.

IMG_1204.jpg

At least it is a change from bullets and acrylics!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

The first one is very intriguing. I really like the colors.. Nice pens...

I like the local resources too. Unfortunately most of mine is oak and pine with an occasional walnut....

dustmaker

Two winners. That is cool that you used local materials. I like the look of both of them. Sure to Wow them at the show.

BigShed

Thank you all for your kind comments, just about to depart for the show, we'll see how they are received.

Great work on both pens Fred . Red Ironbark is an all time favorite of mine . :biggrin:

Seem to remember making one of these blanks (my very first one!) for a pen swap some time ago.:tongue:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you all for your kind comments, just about to depart for the show, we'll see how they are received.

Seem to remember making one of these blanks (my very first one!) for a pen swap some time ago.:tongue:
Let's see if I can find it ! I hope you don't mind that I share the photo here . Thank you friend !

Attachments

• IMG_0290-1.JPG
    IMG_0290-1.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 151

BigShed

Just returned from the show and was amazed at the interest shown in the pens.

I had a display of about 25 pens, including the above 2, and also including some bullet pens.

Sold 3 bullet pens and took 3 orders for fountain pens, 2 in Black Ti (Jr Gent II), 1 in Birdseye Maple, 1 in Red Ironbark as above and 1 Baron in Red Ironbark as above.

Was interesting to talk to a cross section of people and to hear the comments on pens.

The lady that ordered the Birdseye Huon FP in Black Ti chose that plating because it matched her solid Black Titanium wedding ring and she bought it as a graduation present to herself (hubby paid for it though, can't take this liberated attitude too far!
rolleyes.gif
)

Just as well I picked up some Birdseye Huon at the last Wood Show.

(Charles had your Honduras Rosewood Burl Baron FP on display, with a Not For Sale sign on it, and it created a lot of interest, could have sold that pen 6 times I reckon!.)

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Wow! Those are really beautiful pens! Isn't it amazing what you can do with local "leftovers."

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Fred ! Sounds like the show was a success . I have some pens that are NOT for sale as well . :wink: I hope you could get some orders for the Rosewood Burl pens . We can make more ! :biggrin:

Top Bottom