2 I did yesterday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Xander

Xander

Well, it had to happen sometime. My first 2 pens with CA finish.
Left is a Rockler click with I have no idea what wood.
Right is a Rockler "Manhatten" with Curly Mango.

Sorry about the bad photo, I need some of that museum wax stuff to keep the pens from moving.

These are my 6th and 7th pens. Now I'm out of kits and need to get more.
Once again, all comments welcome.

P3240158.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Xander, its tough to judge the finish on the click because the wood is so dark, but from what I can tell it looks good. I really like that mango, but it looks like like maybe the nib end is a bit underturned and the other end is a bit overturned. With that said though for you 6th and 7th pens, you did great. I certainly know my 6th and 7th pens were not as good as yours.

Xander

Derek, thank you, and you are correct in that the nib end is a bees knees over diameter, but that is due to the CA. I was being too careful not to sand it off and left it too thick. I think next time I'll take the wood a little MORE under to allow for a heavier coat of CA. I'm learning.

Last edited:

D.Oliver

We were all beginners once and I'm sure everyone has made that mistake (heck I still make it more than I'm going to admit). I generally turn mine about .003-.005 under and then build back up. I do want compliment you with how well your first two CA finshes came out. That was one thing I really struggled with when I started doing CA finishes. Do you use calipers by chance or are you just using bushings? Switching to calipers really helped me to get that perfect fit.

Xander

We were all beginners once and I'm sure everyone has made that mistake (heck I still make it more than I'm going to admit). I generally turn mine about .003-.005 under and then build back up. I do want compliment you with how well your first two CA finshes came out. That was one thing I really struggled with when I started doing CA finishes. Do you use calipers by chance or are you just using bushings? Switching to calipers really helped me to get that perfect fit.

Thanks again. On the "Manhatten" I had all kinds of problems but I got through them. First, I use medium CA and on the third coat I applied it too heavy and then stopped the lathe to let it cure. When I went back to it there was a big drip of semi hard CA hanging off the bottom. Spray of accelerator cured it, then I used a jewelers file to smooth it. The CA was soft under the surface which caused a big pit. I applied a drop of CA and spread it with a baggie, let dry, and sanded. Then applied a few more coats to the whole blank, sanded and finished. Concidering all that it came out OK.

I have a cheap caliper but it's not good enough. I'm still using bushings but measure also. When JonnyCNC (I think that's his name) gets more delrin finishing bushings I'm going that route. Also thinking about turning between centers.

We learn by our mistakes, so I'm learning a lot. Still, getting good results. I think my best pen was the blue Jr Gent copy, #5

Last edited:

Xander

OK, I had a look at this issue and spent literally 2 minutes working on it. Didn't even dissasemble, just used a few grades of MicroMesh by hand right on the very end of the barrel. The problem was just a buildup of CA at the barrel/bushing joint that did not get sanded with the bushings in place. I think it looks better now. I can't feel any step at the tip joint now.

P3240159-1.jpg

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Do turn between centers and about the drip :mad:, heavy coat or light coat of CA, DO NOT stop the lathe until it is hard. I don't like using kicker and usually only use it after I am 99% sure the glue is set. Then I use a quick burst just to make sure. But, if the glue is still wet and you stop the lathe, you will be know as a "big drip" :biggrin:

Xander

..., heavy coat or light coat of CA, DO NOT stop the lathe until it is hard. I don't like using kicker and usually only use it after I am 99% sure the glue is set. Then I use a quick burst just to make sure. ...

The medium CA I used was left over from an RC airplane project from a year ago and I think it must be past it's date. Bottle says 25 second cure but after 30 minutes it was still tacky... that's why I stop the lathe between coats, and only use accelerator after at least 1/2 hour drying. Normally it was OK with no drips, just that one coat was the problem. In any case, that CA is now in the trash.

Looking to get the centers for TBC and a set of delrin finishing bushings, and a better set of calipers.

Thanks for looking and the input.

McBryde

Time to get some NEW CA it sounds like! Keep it in the fridge to add shelf life to it.

Great looking mango pen! Wish my 6th or 7th pen looked that good, LOL.

E

Top Bottom