2 HEAVY spalted ones from today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick P

Rick P

The first is a spalted cotton wood root burl. The "Large wood lot" thread got me thinking about these blanks. I stabilized them a while ago but hadn't turned anything from them yet. I'm happy with this one but comments are encouraged.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 250
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

This next one has some issues. The black areas are very soft, the hole for the inlay was like sawdust pressed in place. I like to do inlay and never pass pu an opportunity at a natural void. Unfortunately the margins didn't firm up very well after several coats of CA. The turquoise is rather messy.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-3.jpg
    Resize Wizard-3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Resize Wizard-4.jpg
    Resize Wizard-4.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 208

SDB777

Both are nice pens. How do you add the turquoise to the blank? Is it chrystals,powder?
Donny

Ditto on this question?

I have yet to stuff turquoise into a void(and want to do it). Yours looks great, and if you hadn't said it wasn't so....I would think it was supposed to be like that!

Scott (them purty) B

Rick P

SGM

All the woods I use in pen turning are reclaimed, in this case it came from a stump I dug up to clear part of our land. I cut it up and saved the best parts for turning but it was a bit too far gone. The question about cotton wood from another post is what inspired me to turn it anyway.

Toyotaman and SDB777

I crush my own stones, the precrushed are a bit too uniform in size. I fill the hard spots first then start filling from the center outward with the biggest piece I can, couple of drops of CA to hold it n place then fill with progressively smaller chunks ending with powder. Seal with more CA sand to match the contour of the pen and it's done. Dark woods show any powder that isn't in the void strongly! Often a bit of extra attention to the margins is needed. IN this case the powder got embedded to deeply to remove completely without sanding through the blank.

Seems my customers agree with you guys on these, I posted them about 8pm and they sold before I went to bed last night.

Top Bottom