2 First Try Herringbone Pens 180 +360

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

This was anothre first for me. The first one is a 180 Herringbone in Cocobolo along with a Cocobolo Final and CB and made it a closed end with 10 coats or more of CA.
The second was harder then I thought it would be trying to get all the joints tight and as you can see there are some open joints in there.Very confusing the first time. The woods are Koa/ Cocobolo/Maple burl. After you get the thing glued up and all together the blank is HUGE. Th finish is 10 coats or more CA, just like all my pens now :biggrin:
Thanks for looking. Comments bad or good always welcome

Attachments

• IMG_5293.jpg
    IMG_5293.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_5298.jpg
    IMG_5298.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_5297.jpg
    IMG_5297.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_5300.jpg
    IMG_5300.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 622
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I think we have a new King of the IAP! Your pens provide true inspiration for those of us looking to move past the common blank. Now it's finding the time to try these myself. Truly amazing effort for a first time.

hewunch

Great job. I have found with the 360 the slices need to be 1/8" or less in order to look right. Where the 180 can go thicker with no real issues.

PaulDoug

Those turned out very nice. I actually prefer the first one in case. I wish I'd get enough guts to try one. Very intimidating to me.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Paul the first one is simply gluing 2 pieces of wood at an L and stacking them. The 360 is just 3 pieces of wood glued together, 2 at an L with a wing sticking off of it of which you make 2 mirror sets and glue those 2 sets together to make a layer. Very confusing trying to get it straight in your head how things go but very doable. The hardest part is keeping all the pieces very square so you don`t have huge glue joints all over the place.
Probably something in the library. I cant find the link that I went to to get the printed sheets I made.

PaulDoug

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Paul the first one is simply gluing 2 pieces of wood at an L and stacking them. The 360 is just 3 pieces of wood glued together, 2 at an L with a wing sticking off of it of which you make 2 mirror sets and glue those 2 sets together to make a layer. Very confusing trying to get it straight in your head how things go but very doable. The hardest part is keeping all the pieces very square so you don`t have huge glue joints all over the place.
Probably something in the library. I cant find the link that I went to to get the printed sheets I made.

There is a tutorial. I have read it several times and I well give it a try eventually. It will be fun, but I have just too many projects right now to concentrate on it.

Top Bottom