#2 finished - PSI pen/stylus in cocobolo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AZturner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey I like that pen. Try working a little longer on that finish. Don't be afraid to heat things up just a bit when you are applying that finish. Sometime we give up a little too soon and don't get that wow finish that we could have had.

AZturner

Nice fit, finish, and photo. Jim S

Thanks Jim.

Hey I like that pen. Try working a little longer on that finish. Don't be afraid to heat things up just a bit when you are applying that finish. Sometime we give up a little too soon and don't get that wow finish that we could have had.

Could you elaborate a bit Mike? I followed the directions that came with the finish, and it looked great on the lathe. After handling for assembly, etc. it dulled somewhat. According to the manufacturer's site, there are some woods where this is expected, and there is also a small percentage of the population that has acidic perspiration that causes this...I was thinking it was one or the other of those.

I put the same finish on a piece of ironwood this evening, and had the same affect (striking on the lathe, somewhat diminished and duller after assembly.)

AZturner

Does anyone happen to know if it would be OK to put a CA finish on top of the 4-5 coats of Shellawax?

Does anyone happen to know if it would be OK to put a CA finish on top of the 4-5 coats of Shellawax?

I personally don't like CA finish over wood, as to me, that makes it just like a piece of plastic that simulates wood.
Anyway, I would not recommend putting CA over the finish. Make sure to clean your cocobolo with plenty of acetone, and then apply the CA. Cocobolo is a very oily wood. This kind of wood does not talk to CA in a friendly manner.
Just my opinion.

When I finish a pen I never really know how many coats of the finish I use it will take to get things just right. I always use Home finish. I don't know if it is the best I just know that is what I use. I put a heavy coat on with the lathe in forward. Turn the lathe off and put another coat on in reverse then buff it in. Then I will repeat this until I start getting a very good gloss after buffing. I will then put the lathe in forward and just keep adding more from the paper towel and buffing. Sometimes it could take 10 or more coats to get what I want but this isn't a long period of time maybe 10 minutes. Hope this helps.

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
in addition to mike's process, i used ca accelerator to clean the wood before i start the finish ,, i also like the dr's woodshop finish and top off with his paste wax,

Top Bottom