2 cactus pens with a cool box!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I had a commission to make a couple of Jr. Statesmen rollerballs with some of my "Original Cactus Blank"™ pen blanks in Crystal Clear and Magma Red. I got a little bit behind and was not able to deliver when promised so I decided to make a special box to go along with the pens to make up for the delay.

The box is mesquite and was based on plans from Wood Magazine for a pen box that raises up the pen when the lid is opened. Pretty cool box, actually! I lined the inside with black velvet and used satin lacquer for the finish. Hopefully the client will like it!

Thanks for looking!

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

1_CC_and_MR_OCP.jpg

Attachments

• Box and pens 3.jpg
    Box and pens 3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,482
  • Box and pens 2.jpg
    Box and pens 2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Box and pens 1.jpg
    Box and pens 1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,485
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nice Curtis!!!:biggrin: I have a cool blue cactus blank waiting to be used, I don't know if it was one of yours.

I've only ever seen a single 'lift' box. ( Got one from Nancy Laird )

philb

Looks great, especially like the clear cactus. And the book is just awesome!

Might have to source an old copy of that magazine for a go at a box like that!

PHIL

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. I actually paid for and downloaded the box plan. You can get it here: http://www.woodstore.net/flipuppenbox.html One word of warning, though...with the dimensions they show, it will NOT hold the larger pens. I had to enlarge the width and depth of the recesses that hold the pens and then, due to the way the lift works, I also had to make the entire box wider and taller. Basically, I just use the plans for the concept and then re-did it for my needs. Another problem with their plan is the way the lift arms fit the slots, when you open the lid, it will not stay up by itself. I made a few changes to make it have a little friction so it would stay open. All in all, it was a fun project.

Top Bottom