1st Try - Puzzle Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mitchm

mitchm

This is my first attempt at a Puzzle Kit from Kallenshaan. A skew, $55 kit and 2000 rpm results in a nervous wreck (bearing in mind that I pay in South African Rands which are 10 to the Dollar). Finish is CA/BLO mixed with many drops of sweat.....Comments welcome! :)

Attachments

• Puzzle 1 SOYP.jpg
    Puzzle 1 SOYP.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 395
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Very nice looking pen. I recently did two of the Christian Fish kits from Kallenshane for a client and had the same feeling about working on the kits. Everything turned out OK. I now have more confidence working with high end kits. Keep up the good work.

OldWrangler

I did one of these about 2 months ago. It took me 7 1/2 hours just to fit it together. I found that some pieces go together from the underside and some on top. My pieces were not all marked it a number and some did not match the diagram. With a lot of help from Ken at Kallenshaan I finally got it together and then it turned beautifully. I put it in a display at one of my retailer, the art gallery and it sold for $150 before I got home. I have waited for a couple of months to tackle another but the art gallery keeps bugging me for more of them. I have them on order from Ken now.....might even come in today!!!!!

So they are tough but really worth it. And Ken is great about helping. I wish they would mark the numbers better but the instruction, if followed to the letter, are very helpful. Bare in mind I am old, my hands tremble from early Parkinson's and my eyesight is not wonderful. A fellow turner has taken pity on me and offered to assemble them as she enjoys it(?). I want to try one more before I send them to her. I am also gonna tackle one of his Moonscape kits. That looks really cool. Probably only a 5 1/2 hour project to put together.

And the price is definitely got to go up to $195.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

Can you send me a little of your sweat? Did you use it as sanding sealer, or a "between coat" BLO substitute?

GREAT finish!! Oh, and nice pen.

And "Old Wrangler", think about the 7 hours and the $150-195. I don't have an answer here - but every time I sell one, the price is a little higher. I started at $165 last spring. By Fall they were $250 and up. NO, I don't sell a lot of them and Dawn is starting to LOVE to put them together, so I may have to reconsider. But, with the kit at $50, coupled with the time - it really SHOULD be at least $200.

OldWrangler

I agree but there comes a ceiling where people won't pay any higher. I think $195 is about it for around here. My retailer gets 40% so it means I would get $117. Kit costs $55 and pen kit about $7 so I gotta get my construction time to something less than 2 hours.

Hell, I'm old and the only jobs left are Greeter for WalleyWorld at minimum wage. I would rather lose money making the Puzzle Pen than even go in a WW.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Love the pen, but it sounds like you made it a little harder on yourself than you had to. Next time you do one of these kits, you may want to try leaving the skew on the bench and just using sandpaper to turn it down to size, that method has worked for me many times and it takes the nerve racking part out of the turning.

mitchm

...try leaving the skew on the bench and just using sandpaper to turn it down to size....

Neil I had used so much CA on the blanks that the rubber bands become little concrete pieces, would have had to start sanding with 80 grit....just don't seem right. :biggrin:

Oh.....the instructions, or was it an article in WT Design, said you got to use the skew....and I always listen! haha

Top Bottom