1st try at metal segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
First time using a scrollsaw , and first time cutting and gluing a blank using aluminum . The wood is Danish Bog Oak from Neil (wolftat) I put it on a two-tone Sierra . Finished with CA MMto 12000 ,and polished with Meguires Plast X then Renwax .Thanks to Keith (VisExp) , Steve (Akbar) and Dave (djwood1) for the help and inspiration . Like I told our local guys at the meeting , I won't be making many of these . :redface: But I just had to try one . I have the one Dave and Kenny Mayes made at our last meeting . It is sweet . Thanks Dave for doing the tutorial . Thanks again all , for looking .

Attachments

• IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

keithkarl2007

that does it, i'm not opening any more of your SOYP posts. I can't think of any other words to describe your pens :biggrin::biggrin:

BTW:
Did you ever turn the Bog Yew after??

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
that does it, i'm not opening any more of your SOYP posts. I can't think of any other words to describe your pens :biggrin::biggrin:

BTW:
Did you ever turn the Bog Yew after??
Thanks Jim !

Thank you Keith ! I really need you to open these posts . Gives me encouragement ! :biggrin: I don't recall turning any Bog Yew . I'll have to look . Thanks again !

djwood1

Very nice Chuck! You did a great job for your first one, now keep going! Start designing different layouts and have a blast with segmenting! Let me know how I can help you out, my friend!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice find! Must of been a fair think kerf blade, as most of my scroll blades take out more than a soda-can thickness!

PHIL
Phil , I checked with a test cut , and the metal slid right into it perfectly . But this is thicker than a soda can . Guess you might call it dumb luck . :biggrin::biggrin:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Chuck, as you know, I have always been straight with you about things, this one is okay, but stopping now would be a mistake. I like the way it looks and think you should reconsider about making more. There is room for some improvement and it gets easier as you do more.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, as you know, I have always been straight with you about things, this one is okay, but stopping now would be a mistake. I like the way it looks and think you should reconsider about making more. There is room for some improvement and it gets easier as you do more.
:biggrin: Thanks Neil , I appreciate that . I DO have a couple of ideas , so there will definately be more . Your Danish Bog Oak works great with the metal . Thanks for the encouragement .

snyiper

Im a newbie and gave it a try with Flashing...that was a humbling experience!!! I shall do more research and try again This pen has inspired me to try again!!! Great job.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Im a newbie and gave it a try with Flashing...that was a humbling experience!!! I shall do more research and try again This pen has inspired me to try again!!! Great job.
DO try again . Believe me , if I can do it , you can too . It helps if you have a vice . I used a two inch C-clamp . :biggrin: Thanks for looking !

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Classy Pen! It looks like you had a lot of fun with it, too.
Thanks CS ! They ARE interesting , and FUN too I suppose . I want to make more patterns , if I can get WORD figured out . :rolleyes: :redface: In the meantime , I'll try this one again , and see if I can do a better job . I received a tip about scrollsawing , that may help .

bgibb42

Looks WAY better than my first attempt...or my second...or my third. All of which ended up in various areas of my shop (and may never be found again). But I keep on keepin' on.

Top Bottom