1st time using Generals Wood Turners finish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe Burns

Joe Burns

Here is a Elegant Sierra in Bethlehem Olive Wood. My first attempt using the new General Wood Turners finish instead of CA to finish a pen. Did not overturn the pen to allow for the finish. Applied 15 coats of finish. Sanded with Abralon pads and then used a buffing wheel. Forgot to apply EEE before going to the wheel.

Its a lot easier to apply and less temperamental than CA is. The bushing definitely didnt stick. Not quite sure if I like it yet. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Still have a lot to learn on the finishing techniques.

Joe

1_E-Sierra-BOW-019-small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would love to have an alternative to CA sometimes. I have tried a couple of finishes but I always go right back to CA. I have my process down and so I just feel comfortable doing them.

You finish looks good. How smooth is it and how long did it take you to get those results?

SteveG

I just tried that finish on a Koa blank for the FIRST time. Two observations:

1. There appears be a slight color shift. Koa has a range of colors, but it always has a warmth to it. This one pen seems to have noticeably less warmth in the color tone, which is not desirable. I am going to try a few other pieces finished half and half CA and GWTF to verify. Joe, do you think your BOW pen has a bit of a bluish cast to it compared to CA? It looks like it might as I view your photo.

2. I noticed white spots down in the pores of the wood. (Koa is an open pore wood.) I did not use a filler or sanding sealer...just GWTF right on the bare wood. These developed/appeared about 5 days after applying the finish. This result, of course, could be the result of my technique and inexperience with this particular finish.

Crashmph

I have been using this finish for a little while now and really like it. For the open pore woods, I wet sand them with friction polish to fill in the holes with a slurry of sawdust and wax. Then sand up to my normal 1200 be for applying a finish. I put about 8-10 coats of the turners finish on the blank while on the work bench (I do about a dozen or so at a time). Then chuck it up and MM it to 12k for a beautiful shine.

The oldest pen I have done this finish to is about six months. I guy I work with uses the pen daily. He also has one of my CA finished pens. So far the turners finish is holding up well.

SDB777

Just being to get away for the fumes during the winter time(I can always open the garage during the summer) would be a big plus.

Finish looks pretty good for my seat. About how much thickness does the amount of coats add to the turned wood?

Scott (CA fumes = nasty) B

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've used Woodturner's Finish a fair amount and have started using it more than CA. I feel it gives a more natural look and feel than CA.

My process it to finish sanding my blanks with 600 - 1000 grit. I believe the white spots may be sanding dust not removed before starting the finish or sanding dust if you sand between coats. I've never had this problem. I use compressed air to be sure all dust is removed.

The first one or two coats will sometimes raise the grain. Use MM to remove the "fuzz". I then apply thin coats, 20 or more until the desired finish is obtained. Thin coats will leave fewer ripples in the finish eliminating any need to sand when you're done. Thin coats will also dry faster. I allow a minute or two between coats and make sure it's dry to the touch. The applicator I use is a makeup sponge I stole from my wife and now buy my own. I started out using paper toweling but had problems with paper dust. A rep from General Finishes gave a demo at one of our meetings and used a cotton cloth inside a nylon stocking. I tried it and started using the sponge. If I'm going to buff the piece I wait several hours or usually wait until the next day.

Woodturner's finish is a very thin finish so there is no need to overturn. It will not build up to any noticeable amount.

A few nights ago I turned a piece of wood, put a finish on it and washed it in the washing machine with some clothes. After drying and a light buff by hand it looked good.

A few advantages to WTF are no fumes, won't chip like CA, no off gassing and easy to apply. There's also no problem I've found using WTF regarding moisture or on oily woods. I've used it on some of the more problem woods, Ebony, African Black Wood, Rosewood, Cocobolo and more.

Edit: I forgot to add, Woodturner's Finish is available most places General Finishes are sold. Exotic Blanks also carries it. If you place an order with Exotics, Ed will give you a sample of this finish in place of a "freebee" on request while supplies last.

Try it I think you'll like it.

Last edited:

Joe Burns

Thanks everyone.

Destin - It didnt take very long. The drying time is longer than for CA between coats. I didnt time it or anything. Let sit overnight before I sanded and buffed. Came out very smooth.

Steve - The color being off is due to my photography skills and not the finish. I dont have a light tent. Didnt have any issues with spots in the finish.

Dave - I appreciate it. I got mine from Ed at Exotic Blanks. I like the idea of using a makeup sponge. Do they work for CA too?

For those of you using MicroMesh (MM) for the finish are you dry or wet sanding with the wood turners finish?

Joe

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone.

Destin - It didnt take very long. The drying time is longer than for CA between coats. I didnt time it or anything. Let sit overnight before I sanded and buffed. Came out very smooth.

Steve - The color being off is due to my photography skills and not the finish. I dont have a light tent. Didnt have any issues with spots in the finish.

Dave - I appreciate it. I got mine from Ed at Exotic Blanks. I like the idea of using a makeup sponge. Do they work for CA too?

For those of you using MicroMesh (MM) for the finish are you dry or wet sanding with the wood turners finish?

Joe

NO Don't do it. I tried it and made a hell of a mess.
:biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That created an interesting mental picture for me:

Use the makeup brush to apply CA, put it down. The love of your life sees it, and just HAS to dab her nose (who can pass up a makeup brush???)

INSTANTLY YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!!!! So, of course, you laugh----getting you in MORE trouble.

That created an interesting mental picture for me:

Use the makeup brush to apply CA, put it down. The love of your life sees it, and just HAS to dab her nose (who can pass up a makeup brush???)

INSTANTLY YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!!!! So, of course, you laugh----getting you in MORE trouble.

HEHE... I actually LOLed.

Top Bottom